UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2012, 10:34 pm   #1
rharness
Tetrode

Default PAM TV versus RGD TV

Hi, a friend has an RGD TV radiogram from 1953 and the TV has been replaced with a PAM television, can anyone give a reason why this would be done instead of repairing the original. The other thing is if you wanted to find an RGD chassis to fit are they hard to find, similar models are the 6017T.

Regards

Robert
Old 1st Oct 2012, 12:14 pm   #2
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Re: PAM TV versus RGD TV

The RGD chassis [Plessey/Regentone] from this period were nothing to write home about. The Pam chassis was probably fitted much later in life. Is it dual standard or just band 1&3?
An internal picture will be enlightening. John.
Old 1st Oct 2012, 6:31 pm   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

That will be an isolating transformer so that the AC/DC set can share the speaker system with the AC radiogram.
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 2:36 pm   #4
Andy Doz
Hexode

You would have thought a small audio isolating transformer would have been cheaper ....
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 3:17 pm   #5
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Must admit it looks a sad nasty thing from a technical point of view. The Pam chassis looks around 1958 and there would have been little to gain other than the reception of ITV. That could have been obtained with a turret tuner as the original chassis would have been a superhet.
To use my Grans expression 'All show and no knickers' typical of the elaborate looking combinations of the 50's.
Regards, John.
Old 2nd Oct 2012, 7:13 pm   #6
Refugee
Dekatron

I was thinking of the set sharing the audio output valve and output transformer with the radio in order to gain more power and so that the TV would not struggle.
The original TV would have almost certainly been AC only.
Old 3rd Oct 2012, 7:12 pm   #7
rharness
Tetrode

Does anyone know how good a sound you's expect from the radio and record player, it's fitted with a Garrard RC90, amp might be 2 x EL41's. One could possibly take the TV out and use the gram on it's own. If so, what sort of price should one ask for the TV chassis.
Old 4th Oct 2012, 9:21 am   #8
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

I must be brutal here. The TV chassis is worth very little on it's own. The CRT [tube] is probably OK being a Mullard Lumenar with a very dirty label and may have a value of around £10 is someone needs one but may be valueless as far as general sales are concerned.

The Radio chassis should give good sound from the audio stage as it would probably deliver around 8-10 watts when working correctly with a good pick-up and everything up to scratch. Looks like it would need a complete overhaul and you would need to know what you are doing to check and carry this out. The cabinet is a bit overkill for just a record player but if you have the room..Regards, John.
Old 4th Oct 2012, 11:35 am   #9
Brigham
Octode

I'm sure it would be more interesting even with the wrong TV in, than with no TV at all. It isn't that much out of keeping with the original, and even the modification is probably historic by now.

I have a customer with a pre-war Standard Flying Nine, which at some point was given a side-valve Hillman Minx engine. Every year I offer to fit him a nice reconditioned proper engine, but he always says 'it goes well enough as it is', and who's to argue with that?
Old 6th Oct 2012, 2:01 pm   #10
Vectamart
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
I'm sure it would be more interesting even with the wrong TV in, than with no TV at all. It isn't that much out of keeping with the original, and even the modification is probably historic by now.

I have a customer with a pre-war Standard Flying Nine, which at some point was given a side-valve Hillman Minx engine. Every year I offer to fit him a nice reconditioned proper engine, but he always says 'it goes well enough as it is', and who's to argue with that?
Surely, it all depends on how importantly you rate authenticity?
Old 6th Oct 2012, 5:51 pm   #11
Colourstar
Octode

I can't be the only one curious to see a good photo of the front to judge how successfully the updated television chassis has been fitted.

Steve
Closed Thread