UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)
Register FAQ Forum Rules Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Old 9th Aug 2011, 10:22 am   #1
reddish75
Tetrode

Default Sugden A48

I'm just about to embark on the restoration of this Sugden A48 amplifier and have a few questions, firstly does anyone know what wattage the resistors are? Also are there any worth while mods out there?

Thanks

chris

Last edited by reddish75; 9th Aug 2011 at 10:23 am. Reason: spelling
reddish75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Aug 2011, 1:05 pm   #2
D_S_J_R
Hexode

Default Re: Sugden A48

Seriously, it might be worth contacting Sugden for info, as they're still around.

Dave
D_S_J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 11:31 am   #3
BassoonBloke
Pentode

Smile Re: Sugden A48

Hi Chris,

There seem to be a few different versions of this amp. I seem to have a MK1 without the cutout relay. Finding the correct circuit diagram seems quite tricky (i've yet to find the correct one for my amp ).
If i were you i would replace the main power supply smoothers and output caps as they are getting on a bit now (and are probably drying up and losing capacity).
Other than cleaning dirty switches and generally checking for frying resistors, leave it as is and see how it performs.
This amp has been reported as running in Class A, this is not the case and infact it runs Class B and quite cool (the Drivers run in Class A).

Good Luck.
Cheers,
Alan.
BassoonBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2011, 2:44 pm   #4
reddish75
Tetrode

Default Re: Sugden A48

No relay in mine, the version i have has just j.e sugden on the front in a wooden sleeve.
reddish75 is offline   Reply With Quote