UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2010, 10:18 pm   #1
simonbowns
Retired Dormant Member

Default Repairing a Teac A3340S

Hi all - I'm a newbie here, seems a decent resource, hopefully someone can help?!

I've recently adopted a Teac A3340S, which is in need of work. I'm completely new to the world of reel-to-reel. Keen to get this machine working. I've DLed the service manual, can't find the users manual other than ebay/to pay for, so have ordered and waiting on that..

Here's a few questions then!

1) Is this a machine worth restoring?

2) Does anyone in the UK (ideally closer to Sheffield, I'd rather not send this Fedex!) offer restoration of Teac machines?

3) Sources of tape/adaptors/splicing bits/parts for a Teac?

4) Sources for reading (web or books) to bring me up to speed on tape machines?

5) Specific advice on problems - ideally i'd like to repair myself, but understand that this might be a job for someone with a bit more idea.

I've no tape/reels, so this is all without tape loaded.

- Reels turn in opposite directions!
- No difference in speed when choosing 7.5/15
- No difference in speed between FF/play

Thanks,
Simon
Old 1st Jun 2010, 12:33 am   #2
pcawthron
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Repairing a Teac A3340S

Simon,

Some brief thoughts:

1. Yes. I have an A-3440 which is not too different to your machine - I like it.

2. Pass.

3. Everything can be found in online auctions. You don't need to Teac NAB adapters for 10½" reels - Tascam was the same company so look for those but there is also a generic NAB adapter that sits on front of the tape spool. It'll make sense when you see it. New tape, spools and leader tape can be found at

http://www.stanleysonline.co.uk/category-59.htm

as an example.

4. A lot of tape sites will be US ones ut that's not a problem. Have a look at:

http://www.tapeheads.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index...o3l4&board=5.0

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/r...l/messages?o=1

and for books browse

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...tape+recording

5. Get a tape and a take up spool! The left-hand hand motor spinning 'backwards' is to provide back-tension - it'll all make sense later. As for no diference between 7½ ips and 15 ips see if the capstan changes speed.

Regards,

Peter
Old 1st Jun 2010, 10:30 pm   #3
simonbowns
Retired Dormant Member

Great - thanks for the leads, I'll have a dig. Having had a play again (still minus tapes!) - I get the back tension idea, that's good to hear.

I'm waiting on instructions, then I'll get some tapes, have a play, work out what's up and get her properly cleaned and working.

Plenty questions to come, I think...
Old 13th Jun 2010, 12:24 am   #4
simonbowns
Retired Dormant Member

Hmm, just gets weird now. Please bear with me, my first R2R.

I got some tape, loaded up, all working ok - although very noisy capstan and stiff pinch roller. Investigation with the back off showed that flywheel assy/axle catching on the nearby board. The axle the pinch roller assy is supposed rotate on was seized - had actually worked the screw holding it to the front of the unit loose. So, strip lots off/out - removed and cleaned pinch roller assy/axle - regreased and turning on the axle.

Back together and all good, playing, rewinding, ffing - then just stopped.

Now not really doing anything!

- lifting shutoff arm fails to start capstan. switch is clicking, no action. no broken. At first, there was loud clicking from a relay on RH (as you face the back) side - clicking at the same time as the microswitch on the shutoff arm. could see a relay moving on the board. After power off and sit while I read manuals, this isn't making any noise now. inconsistent?!

- hitting play, with shutoff arm up - brakes off, no action from RH motor, LH turns.
- rewind/ff, nothing.

Help anyone? Was enjoying having a working machine, albeit briefly!
Old 13th Jun 2010, 1:02 pm   #5
simonbowns
Retired Dormant Member

SORTED!!

A browse/search found this thread - suggesting problems with one of the micro switches actuated by the shutoff arm - "safety switch"

So, big thanks to "Top Cap" and old posts on this forum!

A strip, carefull reassemble worked - clearly the cam wasn't clicking BOTH switches. All working again!

How satisfying- am I about to start another strange obsession? New tape and better reels on the way. Still plenty of cleaning/work to do.

Si
Old 1st Jul 2010, 10:08 pm   #6
kirk1955
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbowns View Post
2) Does anyone in the UK (ideally closer to Sheffield, I'd rather not send this Fedex!) offer restoration of Teac machines?
Hi simon yes i service and restore all teac machines yes A3440 is worth sorting / yes i can help you with advise regards kirk
Old 7th Jul 2010, 1:55 am   #7
Satcom123
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Simon The machine you have is well, well worth restoring. Another place on the web you should join and use is hifiengine.com look through all the manuals and such and you might find a pdf of what you are looking for and it's free. Like most vintage reel to reels, one will have to learn how to take it apart to a state where one can clean all the old grease out and re-lube it. Like you explained about the pinch roller slowly engaging. This is most likely due to grease that has solidified and must be removed and replaced with new. Also the capstan bearings need to be cleaned and re-lubed. Clean, clean, clean. This might sound scary to the un-initiated but with some direction from manuals and the wonderful chaps on the forum, you will make it happen. Cheers and welcome.
Old 14th Jul 2010, 5:28 pm   #8
danfatel
Retired Dormant Member

Hi kirk.

I have a Teac a-3340s....it's in mint condition, except i think the motor is blown out.

Do you think you could fix it?

Cheers

Dan
Old 14th Jul 2010, 8:09 pm   #9
Station X

Now that you have a post approved you should be able to contact kirk1955 directly by clicking on his username to the right of his posts.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread