UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd May 2010, 2:47 pm   #1
torpointboy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Blaupunkt Frankfurt 1962

Hi Everyone, complete newbie here. I have just purchased a 1962 (I believe) Blaupunkt Frankfurt radio that was taken out of a 63 VW Splitscreen many years ago as the radio was working but unreliable.
Thing is thats all I got, it hasnt got the 6 Pin lead so I believe I cant test the sound...... Sorry if this is a simple question....where can i get one from so as i can plug it in to a speaker, and also where do I check to see if its 6/12v as I believe this model is selectable.

Regards
Old 3rd May 2010, 5:52 pm   #2
Leon Crampin
Octode

Default Re: Blaupunkt Frankfurt 1962

Have you got both halves of the radio? There is a separate power supply which has a flying lead carrying the multi pin connector. It also has the removable plugs to select 6/12V and +/- earth.

Leon.
Old 4th May 2010, 7:14 am   #3
torpointboy
Retired Dormant Member

Yes I do. The radio has One thick yellow wire coming from it (power), the antenna hole and 6 pin hole (everything else I presume). The power pack is connected by way of a lead.

Do I have to take the 'shell' of the radio off to switch over to 12v or is there an external 'switch' that I'm not seeing?

On the 6 (din) pin, is this an easy thing to source? Or have I got to travel road auto jumbles trying to spot one?

Love to get it fully functioning as it's out of a 1963 Splitscreen and that's exactly what I have, so would be going back in an original vehicle.
Old 4th May 2010, 8:38 am   #4
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Unfortunately people tend to 'rescue' the 'radio', or what they think is the radio, and ignore the other box, which generally contains the Power Supply and speaker. I've got two EKCOs and two Pyes in that state. The first step is to obtain the data. Unfortunately data on Car Radios tends to be a bit thin on the ground.
Try http://www.radios.freeserve.co.uk/. They - Adrian - found the Pye information for me.
Good luck.
Alan
Old 4th May 2010, 10:01 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

A 1962 Frankfurt consists, as Leon says, of two parts-the head unit which contains the rf/IF stages, controls, etc., and the amplifier unit. There should be a multicore cable coming from the head unit, terminated in a 6 pin plug, which connects to the amplifier. Protruding from slots in the amplifier case should be two removable paxolin tabs, one marked 6v on one side and 12v on the reverse, the second marked + & -. The Voltage & Polarity of the radio is that indicated on the top of the Tabs.(AFAIK the above applies to '62 models. Voltage changeover in 1950s, and possibly some early 60s valve radios, was via soldered links in both the amp. and head unit) Blaupunkt vave radios used Non-synchronous vibrators, and worked in vehicles of either polarity without adjustment. I would have thought a '63 splitscreen VW was 6volt, though I'm not sure. If it is 12v, and the vibrator fitted is 6v, this will have to be replaced. 6 and 12v transistorised 'vibrators'
to replace most mechanical types can be obtained fromwww.radios.freeserve.co.uk

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 4th May 2010 at 10:11 am. Reason: To add further information
Closed Thread