UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Oct 2009, 6:08 pm   #1
valveaudio
Hexode

Default Quad 34 Problems

I am not sure if this should in the vintage or modern section. Mods please move it if you think it is wrong.

I have been working on a Quad 34 and have a problem with the filter switching. I cannot get F1 to work unless F2 has previously been selected. Pressing F1 without F2 pressed does not operate the latch which in turn operates the associated analog switches.

I have a schematic and have tried replacing the 4013 latches and have tested all the associated components, all seem to be OK.

Has anyone seen this problem, I would love to hear from you.

Trevor
Old 27th Oct 2009, 8:10 pm   #2
percival007
Heptode

Default Re: Quad 34 Problems

Hi,

i posted a thread asking for help on this unit and got some great replies but i can't find it any longer.

If i remember correctly, check for leaking caps on the main pcb which have leaked thier innards on to the track and corroded it. You have to remove the caps to see the damage i think and i would replace all of the electrolytics if i were you.

I wish i could find the thread but it has gone, i found this thread which has a post from me detailing the thread i mean but this link no longer works?!?!?

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=38681

Can the mods look into this?

All the best,

James.
Old 28th Oct 2009, 8:54 pm   #3
audiomm
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by valveaudio View Post
I am not sure if this should in the vintage or modern section. Mods please move it if you think it is wrong.

I have been working on a Quad 34 and have a problem with the filter switching. I cannot get F1 to work unless F2 has previously been selected. Pressing F1 without F2 pressed does not operate the latch which in turn operates the associated analog switches.

I have a schematic and have tried replacing the 4013 latches and have tested all the associated components, all seem to be OK.

Has anyone seen this problem, I would love to hear from you.

Trevor
Replace the two 4066's (IC17 & IC18) as one or both of these is likely faulty.
Also consider that the latching switch itself could faulty but I'd replace those IC's first.
Old 29th Oct 2009, 10:00 am   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Have a close look at the top side of the print in this area, especially any tracks that pass near electrolytics.
They can leak goo and corrode the print - the same symptom as yours happened to me a while ago on a 34 and took a while to find the reason.
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 4:48 pm   #5
valveaudio
Hexode

Thanks

Replaced the electrolytics and at the same time cleaned and bridged the corroded tracks but still no F1 switching. Replaced R98 (10M) it seemed to be intermittently high. Everything now OK
Trevor
Old 2nd Nov 2009, 5:57 pm   #6
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Good result, Trevor. Any 10M resistor is a candidate for suspicion! So, there was corrosion on the print, then. It's becoming a stock fault.