UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2008, 6:35 pm   #1
Reelman
Octode

Question Philips N4450 reversing.

Split from this thread:-

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...re+Ended+Bulbs

-----------------------

Whilst on the subject of this recorder it mentions in the original instructions that the tape will only reverse when playing/recording left-to-right, so after one reversal the tape will stop when it gets back to the beginning. It goes on to say: "If continous reversal is desired please consult your dealer". Well I have both manuals and there is no mention at all of how to achieve it. Would the dealer have received special technical advice on how to do this? Just curious to know.......
Thanks
Peter

Last edited by Station X; 2nd Dec 2008 at 6:55 pm. Reason: Post moved.
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 9:15 pm   #2
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips N4450 reversing.

Hi Peter.

It must be over 25 years since I last worked on one of these at the Philips workshop. I seem to remember that there was a mod for continuous auto-reverse and I think it involved fitting an extra panel. Sadly I don't have any information on these neither do I work for Philips any more so can't even dive into the archives. The BBC had a few of these and some of the small recording companies and we had a few requests for conversion. I don't think the panel was available for very long though....certainly after about 5 years or so, it wasn't available.

There may be some information on the Web about these but as to the conversion....probably not. It was one of those 'special request' type modifications so not generaly released.

Rich.
Old 2nd Dec 2008, 11:10 pm   #3
ben
Dekatron

Don't know this deck but surely it would be a case of knocking up a circuit possibly involving a relay, timing cap and a transistor or two.
Old 4th Dec 2008, 2:13 am   #4
Reelman
Octode

Thanks for replying. Interesting that it was an extra panel rather than just "bridging a jumper".

Ben: I'm sure you are right especially since all the logic is discrete - no ICs except for the capstan motor speed control.
Closed Thread