UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jan 2016, 7:10 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Transformer Ratio Analyser

In tidying up a heap of papers of circuits and home-brew projects that I've accumulated, I came across a simple transformer ratio analyser which featured in Nov 1974 Radio & Electronics Constructor. I can't say I've ever felt a pressing need to have such an instrument, but that said, I do have quite a lot of audio transformers about which I know little, especially transistor ones with no markings on them, and some 1930s inter-valve transformers.

In looking at the circuit, it dawned on me that I had all almost all of the bits to hand to make one.

Although the author states that due to the limitations of this simple instrument it doesn't warrant the expense of a permanently installed 50uA meter, I had one to hand anyway so I built it in. The only part I didn’t have was the 10K wirewound pot, which I bought new off e-bay from Hong Kong, for the ludicrous price of £2.40 post free. I designed a little turret-board layout so that it doesn't look too much of a 'rat's nest'. I made a comb-jointed box from scrap mahogany, and designed a front panel, which I calibrated per the instructions when the pot was installed. The front panel consists of 2mm 'Paxolin', overlaid with lettering on card, which is encapsulated, then it has a piece of 2mm clear acrylic over it to protect it.

The circuit shows a 91 Ohm resistor for R2, as being near enough (+1.1%) to the 90 Ohm, really called for, but to be pedantic, I used a 68 Ohm and 22 Ohm in series to achieve 90 Ohms. (Shown on the turret board as R2a and R2b). I used a 'figure of 8' mains socket for the mains lead input - I didn't bother to add a fuse, except in the mains plug.

I've finished this little project and it seems to work well. I've just tested a couple of vintage inter-valve transformers, which have registered a null at 3:1 and 4:1, which sounds sensible. The circuit and turret-board that I designed are attached, and in another post I’ll add some pics of the finished tester. It will only very occasionally be used - just a bit of fun really, to satisfy my compulsion to build yet another little home-brew test-gear gizmo which will probably find little use in my workshop!

The 3-page article from Nov 1974 Radio & Electronics Constructor Magazine can be downloaded from the link below - seventh one down the list:

http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/misc.circuits/

Not much else to say about it, other than I hope it's of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformer ratio analyser page1_edited-2.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	117703   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformer ratio analyser page2.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	117704   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformer ratio analyser page3.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	117705   Click image for larger version

Name:	TFMR Ratio Analyser Tagboard layout_edited-1.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	117706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformer Ratio Analyser_edited-2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	117707  

Last edited by David G4EBT; 2nd Jan 2016 at 7:24 pm.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 7:15 pm   #2
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Transformer Ratio Analyser

A few pics of the finished analyser attached.

A few less bits in my 'spares box', and one more gizmo to stick on a shelf.

As they say around these parts: 'summat from now't'!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front view finished tester.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	117708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tagboard.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	117709   Click image for larger version

Name:	Transformer.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	117710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Showing mains input.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	117711  
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 7:39 pm   #3
timewave
Pentode

I read the same article about 6 weeks ago and collected the components together from my stock but became side tracked by other projects.

As usual you have set a very high standard, one which most of us will never attain.

John G4IJD
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 7:56 pm   #4

Article jpgs unreadable (yet again on this forum) please can the mods (well Paul S) make the maximum jpg size a bit (twice?) bigger. Nothing to do with Davids scanning.

Nice simple and useful project.

Old 2nd Jan 2016, 8:06 pm   #5
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Open them with a proper photo viewer package, and use zoom - works well enough to make sensible size (and free) jpegs readable...

Thanks for posting this David, yet another useful gadget that I wont have yime to build!
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 8:12 pm   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Williams View Post
Open them with a proper photo viewer package, and use zoom - works well enough to make sensible size (and free) jpegs readable...
I've just tried, and maybe my eyes are tired, but it was heavy-going.

PDFs seem to be the solution, if David has the software to produce them.

I would echo Sean's sentiments about David's projects. I wish I had more time. Maybe one day

N.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 8:18 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

As to the illegibility of article attachment, if you go to the link that I provided above, the article will print off A4 size, or will be perfectly legible to read:

http://www.vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/misc.circuits/

Hope that helps.
Old 2nd Jan 2016, 10:07 pm   #8

Yes, they are readable, probably the minimum you can get away with for comfort. Now the rest of the night has been hijacked looking through all of those. Ironic thanks!

Closed Thread