UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jun 2015, 7:29 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Easy battery current measurement

Not sure if this has featured before or is widely known, but when wishing to measure the battery current being drawn by equipment powered by 'C' or 'D' cells etc, a 'blade' made from a small piece of double-sided PCB with a lead soldered to each side leads can be pushed between two of the cells and a milliammeter connected to the two flying leads. Simple, but useful! See pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Current Measurment Device.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	110075  
Old 28th Jun 2015, 7:33 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Easy battery current measurment

It's also (obviously) a way to add an external on/off switch to a battery-powered device, short the wires together to complete the circuit and turn the thing on.

Many years ago I built a sound operated switch kit (I think it was one of those Radio Shack P-box kits, anyone else remember those?) which came with such an attachment so you could use it to turn on a cassette recorder or similar.
Old 28th Jun 2015, 7:50 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Cunning David, I'll remember that one!
Old 28th Jun 2015, 8:08 pm   #4
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

As kids, we used a cruder version for switching - bared bell wire taped to each side of a bit of cardboard.
Similarly, I find those test-probe 'tweezers' very useful; I made and used my own before discovering that they were commercially available.
Old 28th Jun 2015, 9:03 pm   #5
ukcol
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Easy battery current measurement

Not rocket science, the clever bit is thinking of it in the first place. Well done David.
Old 28th Jun 2015, 11:06 pm   #6
KeithsTV
Nonode

That's exactly the method I use at work for measuring current consumption of remote controls. So simple and very effective.

Keith
Old 29th Jun 2015, 9:21 am   #7
Tim
Dekatron

I'll be using that one in future! Fab idea, and I can see where that would be useful in instance where one cannot use a fuse folder or on/off switch.
Old 24th Jul 2015, 12:18 pm   #8
Andrew B
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
That's exactly the method I use at work for measuring current consumption of remote controls.
For remote controls I am spoiled for choice, I have some IR wireless headphones that receive remotes or I can use the camera on my telephone. Most CMOS cameras are *very* sensitive to IR.
Old 24th Jul 2015, 12:57 pm   #9
G4XWDJim
Octode

Good idea David, I've done the same thing with a piece of cardboard as dseymo1 has suggested.

But I found a problem in that the resistance of the current meter in series with the batteries reduces the voltage applied to the load and the current then taken is lower. How much lower tends to be a bit of a guess depending on the meter used and the range to which it is set. I suppose you could calculate it but I found that connecting a 1 ohm resistor across the two leads and then measuring the volt drop with a digital meter across it had less effect on the working conditions of the circuit.

Jim
Old 24th Jul 2015, 7:40 pm   #10
ionburn
Heptode

Believe it or not these pcb devices are commercially available in the form of battery switch adaptors for control of toys by disabled people (usually children). Look up a company called Inclusive Technology. They come complete with 3.5mm inline socket but at £9.00 perhaps few takers outside of their intended market.
Closed Thread