UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jul 2006, 10:45 pm   #1
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default German Cossor.

I've got a Cossor CR1350T ( see pic ) marked as 'Made in W. Germany' and with the VHF band marked UKW as would be expected.

I'm curious here; did Cossor have these made by a German firm on their behalf or did they have their own factory over there ? Was there a Philips connection at all ?

As an aside, this is a nicely made little radio but is let down by two points; 1. the tiny 2" loudspeaker and 2. the wavechanger on the rear. The scales are marked 1, 11 and 111 ( L/M/VHF respectively ) but the sliding switch on the rear is marked 11, 1, 111. This is very annoying until you get used to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cossor CR1350T.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	4723  
Old 28th Jul 2006, 11:08 pm   #2
jjl
Octode

Default Re: German Cossor.

Hello Darren

I believe that the domestic part of the Cossor brand would have been under Philips group control for several years by the time your set was made, so your set is most likely to be a rebadged version of another European Philips set.

John
Old 28th Jul 2006, 11:35 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks John, I had a suspicion there may have been a Philips connection. My radio is, incidentally, dated 27/02/64.
Old 29th Jul 2006, 1:29 am   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Hi Darren,

With apologies for a dismal photograph, here's my distinctly similar Philips L2X28/03 This one, though, was made in Holland. UK Cossor sets tended to be differently styled Philips models from about 1959/60 onwards: Cossor had made quite an early start on transistor radio production, so there are a few distinct Cossors around.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCI0018.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	4724  
Old 29th Jul 2006, 11:27 am   #5
FERNSEH
Dekatron

My Philips radio was made in West Germany and has the model number 2D22T/03 and is called the "Nicolette"
Manufactured in 1962.

DFWB
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nicolette.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	4727  
Old 29th Jul 2006, 11:33 am   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the pic Paul, it's clear enough to see the similarity.

One thing which did surprise me a little, considering the Cossor is a German-made Philips in disguise, was the transistors used; 5 x AF11x, 2 x OC74 and an OC75. All are unbranded though. Other components are of mixed origin, but Valvo capacitors abound.

The Cossor badge is missing from my radio although its backplate is still present. The rather poor image on the Trader sheet shows no badge at all, at least so far as I can see.

Thanks to Fernseh also, your post appeared while I was typing this one !
Old 29th Jul 2006, 11:36 am   #7
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNSEH
My Philips radio was made in West Germany and has the model number 2D22T/03 and is called the "Nicolette"
Manufactured in 1962.

DFWB
Yes - looks exactly like mine, including the short handle, but for a different tuning scale and the addition of the "Nicolette" badge. Interesting to know that Philips were still naming their sets, a few years after the substantial "Colette", "Annette" &c. valve portables. I assume my version is from 1962 as well: a small label inside has "4 49 62", fourth day of the 49th week?

It does seem to have been a long-standing habit with Philips to begin manufacture of at least their more ground-breaking new products at Eindhoven before taking them elsewhere. Mine was plainly intended to be suitable for several different markets, as the battery compartment comes with instructions in English, Dutch (?), German and French.

Paul

Last edited by Paul_RK; 29th Jul 2006 at 11:44 am.
Closed Thread