UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2015, 10:03 pm   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default For Dremel owners

Lidl are doing a Parkside tool set for £11.99 containing 276 various tools.

Hope this post is OK. I know many forum members use Dremels for repairs and this seems a real bargain.
Old 25th Jan 2015, 10:23 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: For Dremel owners

Thanks for that, could be useful.

Quality won't be Dremel-standard, but no doubt good enough for occasional use.

Nick.
Old 27th Jan 2015, 6:58 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Dremmel quality isn,t that hot IMHO, I've had 2 now go OC due to a faulty switch and there are numerous hits on the net about Dremmel faults so you might as well get a cheap version.

Thanks for the heads up PJL, Andy.
Old 27th Jan 2015, 8:56 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

I sometime use dremel tools, but not the motor unit. I have a little Desoutter turbine die grinder whose collet chuck is the same size.

It's worth keeping an eye out for these tools because they're great for polishing, virtually immortal and impossible to burn out. The harder it is made to work, the colder it gets.

The downside are the sound effects... a dentist's drill on steroids.

The turbine is a short bulge about 60mm in diameter which goes above your hand, then you hold a 25mm stem in your hand like a pen. It's a lot smaller than the electric Dremel motor units, though the weight of the feed pipe is a drag (literally). I use an old bicycle clip to hold the pipe to my forearm if it becomes a problem.

David
Old 27th Jan 2015, 10:42 am   #5
_Clint_
Pentode

Just be careful with the cheap tools, including the ones Maplin do, they can easily disintegrate and fly everywhere at high speed, I have even had a shaft bend 90 degrees.

Wear gloves and googles
Old 28th Jan 2015, 12:31 pm   #6
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Wobble View Post
Dremmel quality isn,t that hot IMHO, I've had 2 now go OC due to a faulty switch and there are numerous hits on the net about Dremmel faults so you might as well get a cheap version.
I prefer the cheaper and less well known Minicraft drills. I have one which is about 25 years old now and still in good shape, though I did buy a new one when I saw them on offer some time ago at Rapid.

Re Lidl, I think we have the smallest branch in the country and they rarely do hardware

B
Old 29th Jan 2015, 10:42 am   #7
Ti Pwun
Heptode

I bought a set of cheaspo 'Dremel' acessories but found that they do fall apart or fail to cut/tighten so they are not up to much but definitely handy to have as spares for infrequent use.

Never had one fail and throw pieces everywhere, fortunately, but this isn't the type of tool you would use without taking your safety seriously (wrap-around glasses, gloves, etc.) so I don't mind using them.

Some of my most useful tools cost very little money and I don't use them often enough to justify high quality all the time - only for the things I use every day (side cutters, wire strippers, screwdrivers, etc.) will I pay good money for a single tool!
Old 29th Jan 2015, 8:58 pm   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

I've just been and bought one of these sets from Lidl. The sheer quantity of grinding wheels and polishing mops alone have got to be worth the £11.99! Having bought cheap ones before, though, the brass wire brushes will be treated with extreme caution, as the wires tend to fly off and embed themselves in your clothes, and eventually your skin!

Barry
Old 10th May 2015, 12:07 pm   #9
allotribus
Diode

Useful, but a bit nasty tip?
Ask your dentist to support you with his worn tools.
He'll be happy to give them to you, rather than throw them away and you'll get the highest - medical - grade tools.
When a dentist calls them worn, there is still plenty of life left in them.
I take a zip bag with me, when I go to him and as he knows me for this strange behaviour, he keeps these tools for me and fills this zip bag for me.
At home, I clean them all in alcohol to have them sterile.
He does not use carbide tools but full metal tools only (the "router bit" type), so you really get them clean.
Old 12th May 2015, 6:38 pm   #10
Ti Pwun
Heptode

H&S would undoubtedly prevent a dentist here in the UK from giving his used tools to clients, I'm sure. I'd gladly take them, though, so correct me if I'm wrong - nothing a good dose of Milton wouldn't take care of.
Old 12th May 2015, 7:36 pm   #11
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

I'd happily give away old burs etc. after they've been sterilised in the autoclave, but I have to say that they're really fairly useless by the time they get chucked out.

Instruments which enter the pulp chamber (such as endodontic files or "reamers") aren't meant to be autoclaved as the process doesn't kill prions which can (theoretically) transmit CJD. These have to be thrown away after a single use.

Nick.
Old 12th May 2015, 7:55 pm   #12
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Interesting - I imagine that even well worn dental equipment is going to be much better than the rubbish for the Dremel that I've used and broken in the past after just one or two uses.

I have a decent set of tools now but I'm sure someone here would be interested in used dental tools.

It's the good strong dental picks I'm after - I use them a lot but the steel used is often really soft. Any recommendations on where those can be purchased from? Don't mind paying for them but I don't want them to bend after one use!
Old 12th May 2015, 8:05 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti Pwun View Post
It's the good strong dental picks I'm after - I use them a lot but the steel used is often really soft. Any recommendations on where those can be purchased from? Don't mind paying for them but I don't want them to bend after one use!
Then you need Dentsply/Ash stuff: https://www.dentsply.co.uk/Products/...Explorers.aspx

Definitely not cheap, so be warned. And although they're tough, they can't circumvent the laws of physics, so will obviously fracture or bend at some point.

A good investment for dentists though... it's common to see stuff like this that's 10 or more years old, having been used a dozen times a day, still as good as new.

As for rotary instruments, you might find ones used by a dental technician (i.e. someone behind the scenes who makes dentures or crowns) more appropriate for hobby use. A lot of our stuff is designed to run at a couple of hundred thousand RPM with water cooling, and will do nothing in a Dremel or similar.

Nick.
Old 12th May 2015, 10:27 pm   #14
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Thanks Nick. Yes, those are quite expensive but diabetes and a stroke left my finger ends with nerve damage so even picking up a screw can be a chore. This type of tool is invaluable to me so I can manipulate whatever I'm working on and I don't mind paying for reliability. I am unlikely to use enough force to break those but the cheapo ones are next to useless when you tend to accidentally exert a bit more force than the soft Chinese stainless steel tools can handle.

I can't even remember what shape these used to be - ha!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...pictureid=3289

Definitely bookmarked that page for later. Thanks for that link.
Old 13th May 2015, 12:46 pm   #15
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Nick , I use a 'real' dental engine. Made in the 50's I believe, it uses a string to transmit the motor power to the handpiece via pulleys on the joints. Coupled with a 3 stage foot control for speed it is light and easier to use than a Dremel although not a portable. Similar to this:-

http://iriguchiukuleles.com/2012/04/...ting-medieval/

Malcolm
Old 13th May 2015, 1:16 pm   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nice!
Old 13th May 2015, 1:38 pm   #17
Malcolm G6ANZ
Octode

Thanks Nick. All the Dremel bits and tools fit the hand piece. The torque is very high, I don't think I've managed to stall the motor yet, the drive cord just slips.
Old 13th May 2015, 8:31 pm   #18
Sean Williams
Dekatron

Thanks All...... Dental tools..... SHUDDER! Going to hide in a darkened room to calm down now
Old 13th May 2015, 10:41 pm   #19
paulsherwin

The link in #15 does bring back less than pleasant memories of dental work in the late 50s, when machinery like that (or perhaps just a bit more sophisticated) was still in mainstream use.
Old 14th May 2015, 2:00 am   #20
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Re Dremels - I often use flexible drive on mine, which is alternatively coupled to a Rotazip motor when higher torque is required.
Closed Thread