UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2017, 8:10 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Silicone mains flex

Hi all

I'd like to replace the mains cable on my antex iron. There's nothing wrong with it except it is too stiff for my liking and thus misbehaves when i put it in the holder - it stays kinked (the cable is not damaged at all) and so sometimes pulls the iron across the bench. I presume it's not just me that finds this.

Ideally I'd like to replace it with a more flexible silicone type lead.

Does anyone know where i can get a couple of metres or so of this?

Obviously quality and safety if key here.

Martin
Old 25th Mar 2017, 8:48 pm   #2
ColinB
Heptode

Default Re: Silicone mains flex

What about the black cable that is often used for things like pond pumps and the like outdoors? A garden centre or tropical fish supply place may sell this?
Old 25th Mar 2017, 9:32 pm   #3
David G4EBT
Dekatron

The correct replacement Antex heat-proof silicone flex is available reasonably priced - from here for example:

https://www.rapidonline.com/antex-re...ng-irons-30215

Hope that helps.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 10:49 pm   #4
thermionic
Heptode

Thanks for that link, David.

I was about to post a similar request for such cable, as my lead on my Weller iron is very short now, and the 1.5 metre 3 core option will be just the job for this!

SimonT
Old 25th Mar 2017, 11:42 pm   #5
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

The local electricians factors will have it too.

T
Old 25th Mar 2017, 11:45 pm   #6
Martin Bush
Octode

I will take a look in the electrical store in Oxford but i reckon David's suggestion will be as good as it gets - made for the job by the manufacturer.

Thanks all for the feedback.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 11:53 pm   #7
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

The OP seems to be based on the belief that silicone cables are more flexible, but I always believed the reverse to be true. The silicone heat-resistant cable used as standard on the Antex is the reason it's stiff. I think back to those happy days when the Solon irons had wonderfully light, flexible, thin cable... which melted in milliseconds when the iron touched it .

The Antex do seem to have a particulary dislikable cable on them.

B
Old 26th Mar 2017, 12:02 am   #8
Martin Bush
Octode

I said 'silicone' as i was given a length of cable by a forum member who described it as such. That is now on another iron and is also the wrong shape for the antex.

It is, however, as flexible as can be. Similar to some other silicone stuff (according to to the eBay listing) that i used to make some test cables. I can't find anything comparable for mains on eBay though.

Can anyone clarify?
Old 26th Mar 2017, 1:15 am   #9
broadgage
Nonode

IME, most types of true silicone rubber insulated wires and cables are more flexible than PVC and therefore ideal for soldering irons and test leads etc.

Other types of heat resistant cable are made of a different grade of rubber, butyl IIRC, but are often wrongly called silicone. Such cables are often used for connecting immersion heaters and electric radiators, they are somewhat stiff and of relatively large conductor sizes.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 5:51 am   #10
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Broken domestic iron leads make nice flexible leads, may be a bit thick for a soldering iron though. Used to get about four a year out my next door neighbor's bin, but they've moved now.

Andy.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 9:31 am   #11
MrBungle
Dekatron

Flexibility certainly varies. I've got an Antex XS25 with silicone cable and a brand new Weller TCP-S. The cable on the Antex one is supposed to be silicone but I can only describe it as "objectionably difficult". The Weller one is completely different - it flows perfectly like water and you forget it is there.

I remember we had the PVC cabled Antex red irons at school. Until someone left the iron on one and blew the fuse box in the room out. Never used a PVC cable since.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 9:35 am   #12
GMB
Dekatron

I use the tiny Antex irons and recently had to buy a new one.
It now looks like a classic example of regulations causing more problems than solved...

It came with a much thicker cable than they ever used to have. I am sure that the iron can now spend many minutes trying to burn its way through to the mains, but sadly the cable is so thick and stiff that the iron is far more likely to pull itself out of its holder and go wandering off to kill something else now.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 10:14 am   #13
MrBungle
Dekatron

Possibly right. The Antex ones carry 240v rather than the 24v of a properly isolated soldering station though. You win one thing (cost) and lose another (flexibility, ease of use).

TBH I really wouldn't use an Antex iron again. Once you get used to a properly temperature controlled iron you won't go back. I only keep mine around in case I need to repair the Weller at some point
Old 28th Mar 2017, 10:36 am   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

...talking of which, if you need to borrow another iron to fit the lead to your Antex, Martin, just shout.

Nick.
Old 28th Mar 2017, 5:52 pm   #15
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I had to replace my Antex XS iron a while back and was most disappointed with the lead. I was going to send a bit of customer feedback about it but never bothered and recently purchased a Weller temperature controlled iron, after using industry standard TCP's for years at work. Absolutely brilliant, a real pleasure to use. Expensive but worth it. The lead is nice and flexible. Maybe it is the insulation properties that dictate the cable flexibility, as the Weller is 24V.
Alan.
Old 30th Mar 2017, 12:40 pm   #16
Andrew B
Heptode

Antex USED to supply soldering iron's with extra-flex lead, nowaday they seem to have taken to supplying them with bullet proof armoured cable capable of holding up the Humber Bridge.

I also note that some of the irons branded "Antex" seem to be knock-off Chinese copies, or at least lookalikes. The company seems to have gone way downhill over the last few years IMHO.

Andrew
Closed Thread