UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Mar 2017, 7:51 am   #1
Mach One
Heptode

Default Masts in Pirbright, Surrey

While driving through Pirbright in Surrey (northwest of Guildford) yesterday, I noticed what looked like a couple of "MW" masts. I am not aware of such a broadcasting facility in this area and looking on the Internet there is very little that looks reliable about what it could be.

My map (yes - I use satnavs but still keep maps for reference) says that there is an old "wireless station" in a place called Cobbetts Hill from memory. That would appear to be now some kind of satellite station.

Does anyone know anything about these masts, which I would have thought would have been taken down if they were no longer of any use? They did not look beyond repair as it were.
Old 25th Mar 2017, 8:24 am   #2
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Default Re: Masts in Pirbright, Surrey

It's listed on the URL in the table of transmitters, Guildford (Pirbright)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_Radio

Frank
Old 25th Mar 2017, 10:12 am   #3
Mach One
Heptode

Default Re: Masts in Pirbright, Surrey

Thank you, Frank...

I did have a look online to see if there was an active broadcasting mast but was mobile and didn't find any reference at the time.

Shame. I'd hoped that I might have found a mothballed SW broadcasting facility or something.
Closed Thread