UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Mar 2017, 8:51 pm   #21
Philips210
Nonode

Default Re: Deaths by electrocution in domestic situations.

Hi.

It's all too easy to have a lapse in concentration and a serious electric shock can be the result.
When I was in the caravan business, the static caravan I was working in had a badly wired incoming main cable. The armoured cable going into the metal junction box was crudely fitted without a proper gland so was therefore not earthed. Upon repairing the connection, a loop impedance test was again done which still showed a very high reading. Back to the isolator, then shut the power off and investigate further. Another junction box upstream had corrosion so it seemed this was the problem. This was rectified and a further loop test done and unbelievably it was still high. Turn off the power again and make further checks. In the meantime, I was putting back together the consumer unit in the caravan. In some confusion going back and forth to switch on and off the isolator, the power was restored, and I had hold of the incoming cable to the consumer unit and received a very nasty shock which caused be to go back violently from the cable. Luckily this caused me to let go. My heart was erratic and I literally felt in a state of shock. I do consider myself to be lucky to have come through that one. It was the worst electric shock I ever had and taught me to be much more careful and don't take anything for granted. In the event, the upstream RCD didn't trip and a subsequent check with the RCD tester revealed it was insensitive and thus giving no protection.

I've since learned that such shocks can be fatal in a delayed manner. That's where a defibrillator comes in handy and can easily save someone's life.

Regards
Symon
Old 13th Mar 2017, 10:01 pm   #22
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Unhappy Re: Should inexperienced members be encouraged to work on mains powered equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
Perhaps we need a 2010's version of the 1950's education for people. That'd solve a huge amount of problems.
Hmm. IMHO, a return to the 1950's style of education & subjects therein would solve a lot of problems - and not those necessarily related to electricity, either.

Al.
Old 13th Mar 2017, 10:02 pm   #23
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Deaths by electrocution in domestic situations.

Re post 21: In that sort of situation, it's always worth removing the fuse and putting it in your pocket, or the equivalent depending on the setup. Stops anyone else restoring the power by mistake, and acts as a double check before handling any potentially live conductor.
For larger installations, lockoffs are of course available.
Old 13th Mar 2017, 11:42 pm   #24
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Should inexperienced members be encouraged to work on mains powered equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Hmm. IMHO, a return to the 1950's style of education & subjects therein would solve a lot of problems - and not those necessarily related to electricity, either.
But the education of the 50's led us to where we are now, and we don't like where we are now, so why do it again? The UK (human) population is increasing and the world population is increasing, so if we lose a few people to electrocution it is not a problem. Other species are going extinct everyday; that's a problem!

B
Old 14th Mar 2017, 1:08 am   #25
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Should inexperienced members be encouraged to work on mains powered equipment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz4CQJ View Post
But the education of the 50's led us to where we are now, and we don't like where we are now, so why do it again?
B
Again, in my (very) humble opinion, it was the persistent meddling by politicians in education during the early '60s which has contributed to many of the problems we have today. But not only is that a political remark (Forum rules) and substantially controversial, but is well off-topic . So I'll say no more B, unless you wish to continue this matter in a P.M.

Al.
Old 17th Mar 2017, 11:50 pm   #26
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Default Man dies charging phone in bath

Let me first start by offering condolences to the family. This is a cautionary tale although I am sure that no one on here would attempt to do this or let any family member do so. I'm not sure what Apple are expected to do except maybe raise awareness of the issue? I don't think phone chargers have transformers either, just perhaps a capacitor dropper? People perhaps assume its only 5v output but the prescence of unearthed mains voltage in the adapter means no RCD trip upon water ingress and saddly lethal consequences.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...hone-bath.html

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 18th Mar 2017 at 12:17 am.
Old 18th Mar 2017, 12:07 am   #27
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Man dies charging phone in bath

Oh my word. How tragic.

But you can also see the possible (faulty) logic - well, I plug my toothbrush into the mains in the bathroom, so....

All down to having no appreciation of what IP rating means (toothbrush charging cradle, IP68) or the fact that it is connected via a suitable transformer in the wall socket. An iPhone charger has no IP rating, and was was connected directly to the mains power.

Oh dear.
Old 18th Mar 2017, 12:29 am   #28
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Very unfortunate but [to me] it's the equivalent of tales from the 50's and 60's when people balanced a single bar electric fire on the side of the bath.

I presumed that this was why re the Regs have always stressed no ordinary mains sockets in the bathroom and I've tried to inform people about that. I'm not at all perfect though so, on occasion, I have circumvented this rule but never in the presence of anyone else and never anywhere near a bath full of water or a sink. Sadly. I doubt the explanation here is just an uninformed "Well I plug my tooth brush in don't I ?". It's much more likely to be, "I want to use my phone in the bath but it's out of power". You just can't legislate against instant gratification [unfortunately] but If you could-many people would still be with us. How important was that call?

The deceased actually ran an extension lead into the bathroom and then rested the charger [not the phone] on his body. If it had been just the phone alone [after it had charged for a short while] he would have been fine. Let's not blame [literally] the messenger. Watch 24 hours in A+E and try to define an "accident". It isn't that easy! I'm not at all unappreciative that this is a tragedy for all concerned [especially the living] but only so much can be done.

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 18th Mar 2017 at 12:45 am.
Old 18th Mar 2017, 1:53 am   #29
paulsherwin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards
Closed Thread