UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jan 2017, 10:06 pm   #1
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Variable HT supply

Lifted from a current 'wanted' thread about a variable HT supply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by See_Mos View Post
Nowadays I would probably do it with a variac into a transformer with 24 volt secondary feeding two 12 volt transformers in series and in reverse to step the voltage back up again and to provide isolation from the mains
How far can one push the insulation on a transformer winding designed for (say) 240v? I get that using two 20:1 units in series in this suggestion will mean no over-voltage stress. If one used say just one 12v wall wart backwards, with a variable 24v ac supply applied to the LT side (I have such a thing, allegedly capable of up to 8A at 25v), would the winding insulation stand up to it? I understand magnetic saturation is a function of current drawn, not voltage, so I guess this is not something I need to think about.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 10:11 am   #2
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Variable HT supply

"I understand magnetic saturation is a function of current drawn, not voltage, so I guess this is not something I need to think about. "

No. Saturation occurs when the voltage is too high or the frequency too low. Current makes very little difference to the magnetic strength.

Current produces heat and voltage drop due to wire resistance.

Stuffing 24V into a 12V winding seems like trouble.
Old 5th Jan 2017, 1:35 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

I wouldn't say that current makes little difference to magnetic strength literally, though for load current on a transformer it's true. Other things being equal the magnetic field is proportional to the current in an inductor, at any rate until the core, if there is one, saturates.

The magnetizing current is controlled by the applied voltage/frequency though, since it depends on the impedance offered by the primary inductance which is frequency dependent.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Jan 2017, 9:26 am   #4
trsomian
Hexode

Quite the reverse. The magnetising current, which is what will saturate the core of a transformer, (not the load current at all), is dependant on the applied voltage and the frequency; hence the term "volts seconds". If you are going to apply 24V to a 12V transformer winding designed for 50Hz you will need to apply it at 100Hz.
Old 10th Jan 2017, 9:47 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Back in the days when designing power supplies with normal iron lamination-cored transformers, one of the probable events (when, not if events) was someone connecting to 240v with the thing set to 110v. There were two saviours: The overvoltage on the primary was planned to saturate the transformer and to quickly take out the fuse so the rectifiers, smoothers and regulators (and everything downstream) got protected. The second one was the use of mains driven fans. Their cores too saturated and helped significantly.

David