UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Mar 2017, 4:51 pm   #1
spaceford
Retired Dormant Member

Default Sony HP-511A lamps

Hello, I'm new to vintage audio and getting used to the idea that when a seller says "All working perfectly", their understanding of "perfectly" and "working" is different from mine!

I've just got hold of a Sony HP 511a - it's a tuner/amp/TT stereo system from 1972. I'm a little disappointed because it looked like it had an adjustable counterweight on it (and I think the 611a, which contains a Dual deck actually does) but this seems to be pretty set.
Anyway, till I get a cartridge for it, I won't know how well the TT works. For now, the rest all works fine but the lamps behind the tuning screen are all blown.
Does anyone know where I can find replacements? Are these pretty generic? Can't seem to find a mention of them in the service manual.

Many thanks.
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 6:16 am   #2
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Default Re: Sony HP-511A lamps

Replacements can be found but you'll need to get the old ones out so you can find the voltage and wattage
(wattage? nots sure that's a word; rated watts)

On some vintage hifi it's possible to convert to using LED's. Takes a bit of work though.

Andy.
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 7:44 am   #3
saxmaniac
Heptode

I found suitable lamps on eBay, you have to hunt a bit to find physical size and wattage but with the stereo beacon I ended up wiring about 3 leds in series with a suitable resistor value decided by experiment. Sorry I can't be more specific but it was a few years ago
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 7:48 am   #4
saxmaniac
Heptode

Also re the cartridge, It is a magnetic type and the stylus is available but if it needs a new cartridge you could try an Audio tecgnica AT91 which is good value magnetic cart. The machine iia cheapo model which can work ok but though it looks quality it's not very solidly engineered
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 10:56 am   #5
camtechman
Nonode

As far as bulbs, you can get various types from Model Railway shops.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 6:09 pm   #6
spaceford
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the replies. I've managed to open the machine up and after nearly choking on over 40 years of dust and nicotine, I've identified there is one pilot light (4.5v/40ma) and one dial lamp (12v/5w).

I haven't found exact matches online - what would happen for example, if I used a 6v 60ma for the pilot light?

As for the dial lamp, I cannot fathom how to get to it. I've got the front panel off and I think I know where it is, but I can't see it. From the diagram, it looks like it might be a festoon lamp possibly? But it's buried behind the dial and might need dismantling the tuning string, which is daunting!
Old 26th Mar 2017, 6:30 am   #7
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

"what would happen for example, if I used a 6v 60ma for the pilot light? " - it would glow less brightly.

Sqires and similar modelling shop's do a range of small bulb's.

Andy.
Old 26th Mar 2017, 7:55 am   #8
saxmaniac
Heptode

With the pilot light by which I think you mean the stereo beacon? Don't let the current consumption go above 40 ma in case you overload the circuit driving it. The bulb you mention should not be a problem though. With the dial lamp I can't exactly remember but it's a festoon type and you don't need to remove the cord drive. You might have to remove the dial glass but I don't remember it being any problem
Old 26th Mar 2017, 10:43 am   #9
Michael Maurice

You can get all types of lamps here

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 31st Mar 2017, 11:36 pm   #10
gazrawly
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceford View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I've managed to open the machine up and after nearly choking on over 40 years of dust and nicotine, I've identified there is one pilot light (4.5v/40ma) and one dial lamp (12v/5w).

I haven't found exact matches online - what would happen for example, if I used a 6v 60ma for the pilot light?

As for the dial lamp, I cannot fathom how to get to it. I've got the front panel off and I think I know where it is, but I can't see it. From the diagram, it looks like it might be a festoon lamp possibly? But it's buried behind the dial and might need dismantling the tuning string, which is daunting!
Hi there

I am also restoring one of these at the moment. There are actually two dial bulbs (one on each end of the illuminator assembly bar). You need to remove the wooden case first and then pop the two black metal clips out from the sides (i've uploaded pictures for you below).

Did you manage to source replacements of these? They are a micro festoon by the looks of it.

Gareth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_232807.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	140218   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_233215.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	140219   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170331_233226.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	140220  

Last edited by gazrawly; 31st Mar 2017 at 11:52 pm.
Old 1st Apr 2017, 12:14 am   #11
gazrawly
Tetrode

I managed to figure out the text on the Festoon using a magnifying glass. Stanley 12V5WPE. I'll try and source replacements later
Closed Thread