UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2017, 11:03 pm   #1
Vakito227
Hexode

Default Television Identification

Hi all, I don't really know much about vintage televisions but I have always wondered what model of television was in Monty Python's (in)famous exploding penguin sketch, really like the look of it. If any of you could help that would be great thanks!

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untuitled.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	139582  
Old 20th Mar 2017, 11:10 pm   #2
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: Television Identification

Dual standard Pye 11U I from around 1964 I think?

Cheers
Old 20th Mar 2017, 11:30 pm   #3
Colourstar
Octode

I think Lee is spot-on with the chassis although I'm pretty sure that this particular model is a 13U, presumably adapted as a monitor either by Pye themselves or a BBC engineering in-house job (the signal cable can clearly be seen entering the cabinet on the right)

I don't know how many of these Pyes the BBC had, but they generally turn up when a 'domestic' tv is required in a room setting. They have appeared in The Goodies, Sykes, Monty Python's Flying Circus, Cilla, Dave Allen at Large, and probably many more shows from roughly the 1968-1973 period. I'd love to find one!

Steve
Old 21st Mar 2017, 9:29 am   #4
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Yes the Pye 11u chassis and as Steve says the actual model is the 13U They made dozens of variations. This was my bread and butter model in the 60's. I still have a new mains dropper! John.
Old 24th Mar 2017, 4:41 pm   #5
pastyboy
Hexode

I came across one of John's adverts for used spares in a 1974 copy of Television Mag the other day, Colliers Wood shop!