UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 11th Mar 2017, 3:24 pm   #1
Roomorchestra
Diode

Default Ferrograph 633. Won't Play

Hi,

I think this has come up as a question before; but I'll go ahead if that's ok....

The run lever won't 'hold' when my machine is set to play. (It seems fine in FF and Fast Rewind). I have to hold it in place manually to keep the tape rolling, and there is some initial electrical noise / interference when I apply pressure.(Actually, this noise happens in all modes - not just play).
The tape slows to a halt when I take the pressure off the Run lever.

Upon inspection internally, there is some blue sparking with the noise I outlined coming from somewhere in or around the motor switch when it is initiated.

What I'd like to know is, what the likely cause of this (common?) fault is, and what to try first to repair. C1 & C2 Capacitors? Large Smoothing Capacitor? Solonoid?
I'm not particularly literate electrically speaking, but I can take it to someone who is, i'm hoping for some advice on what the likely culprit might be, or what to look at first.

Thanks,

Old 11th Mar 2017, 9:06 pm   #2
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Default Re: Ferrograph 633. Won't Play

Usual cause of this is lack of HT, which holds the solenoid in. First step is to measure the HT voltage. If low, possible suspects are the rectifier or smoothing condensers.
Old 12th Mar 2017, 1:18 am   #3
Roomorchestra
Diode

Thanks for that info Ted. I'll start with those.
Old 12th Apr 2017, 4:46 pm   #4
Roomorchestra
Diode

*Update* NOW REPAIRED.

So, after resolving the initial issue with the faulty motor switch, (a bad contact), it quickly developed another more complicated one. The motors started running erratically, and would not stop even when the run switch was dis-engaged. A tape snapped in the process.

After much panicking, I messaged a very helpful (and incredibly knowledgable) member here on the vintage radio forum who was not too far away from where I am based, and who was willing to look at the machine. So thank you Bill Dowell (BILLDWVA) for the repairs!!
He found that one of the suppressor capacitors (across the reel motor switch) had gone short circuit - that's why they were always on. Now it's working great.

I'm thinking this info may be useful for anyone looking for info on similar issues, and their possible/probable causes.
Thanks everyone.
Closed Thread