UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Oct 2014, 1:53 pm   #1
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Default Mainspring removal HMV 101

I should think another one for Barry. How do I remove the spring retaining clip on an HMV101 mainspring? I need to get the spring out to grease it but the clip seems an absolutely perfect fit and I can't get a screwdriver into the gap between the ends of the clip.

Also what is the best (readily available) solvent to attack the hardened grease with?

TIA
Old 30th Oct 2014, 2:46 pm   #2

Default Re: Mainspring removal HMV 101

Quote:
Also what is the best (readily available) solvent to attack the hardened grease with?
Paraffin, diesel, white spirit or petrol. If you haven't got a proper spring removal tool do it in a strong bag with gloves on, if it goes 'tits up' it won't go far and your hands will be protected. I find clock springs scary enough!

Old 30th Oct 2014, 3:16 pm   #3
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for comments. In the end I got the clip out by using a hammer and old screwdriver. The spring is indeed soaking in paraffin and seems to be cleaning up nicely with the aid of a kitchen green scourer. The old grease looked and felt like metal had been ground up but as the drum is undamaged it isn't.

I understand that the grease used by HMV was one unique to them and always goes hard like this but then the machine is 85 years old so it is entitled to I suppose.

Next trick will be putting the spring and new grease (I'll use LM2) back in.
Old 30th Oct 2014, 5:31 pm   #4
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Dave,

Remember that paraffin doesn't evaporate for months so the spring will need another wash in white spirit, IPA or petrol.

DERV isn't recommended either, unless you do the same.
Old 30th Oct 2014, 6:19 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Mike. I washed the spring in dishwasher powder and it was bone dry then I greased it when I put it back in so it should be ok.

The problem I have now is the the retaining clip seems to have grown 1/8" since I took it out and I can't get it back in place.
Old 30th Oct 2014, 7:01 pm   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

Dave, don't be tempted to file a smidgeon off the end! You'll find in about six months time that the lid has come off, and there's grease everywhere.

Put a block of wood on the lid and tap it with a hammer all over the lid, to make sure the spring and lid are below the level of the groove that the spring clip sits in. I usually put the two ends in first, then work round, levering the last bit in with a small screwdriver.

This bit is, in my opinion, the worst part of spring overhauling, certainly the most frustrating!

Barry
Old 30th Oct 2014, 7:17 pm   #7
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Barry. Yes all of the tutorials I read and watched on Youtube said to machine off a smidgen from the circlips ends but my reasoning was if HMV can get the circlip in then so can I.

When the penny dropped that no way was I going to get the ends forced in to meet each other I realised that the answer was to put the open ends in first as you said. I then held the circllip in place at some 90 degrees each side of the ends in place with the wife's knitting machine G clamps and used Mole grips to lever the circlip into place directly opposite the ends and after a struggle in it went.

The machine now plays a record both sides in one wind and the motor is almost silent. The machine is in very good condition so I am extremely pleased with this one.

BTW Barry I used Carlube LM2 which is a high melting point general purpose grease. Do you have a favorite gramophone grease?
Old 30th Oct 2014, 11:28 pm   #8
Audio1950
Dekatron

Messy job, but the results are worth it.

I don't have a favourite, but I have always got satisfactory results with Castrol Mulipurpose grease from Halfords. Much the same as the one you used.

I've got a spring to do in the morning. Fortunately it's a Garrard motor, so doesn't have one of those pesky spring clips!

Barry
Closed Thread