UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 24th Mar 2007, 10:18 pm   #1
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Default Dial for a model 332 telephone.

I have just acquired an old bakelite 332 telephone.It is fitted with a clear perspex/plastic type dial. I believe that this model would have originally had a chromed metal dial. I'd love to restore it to how it should be because it's in perfect working order. Does anyone have a scrap/spare one that i can purchase. Alternatively any tips on where i could get one. Thanks, Colin.
Old 24th Mar 2007, 10:54 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Dial for a model 332 telephone.

Hi Colin,

If nobody on here can help then try these people http://www.telephonelines.net/ but a complete Type 10 ( etc ) dial for your 'phone is likely to be pricey. They do turn up on ebay from time to time also; either as a complete but damaged 'phone for spares or just the dial.

Some advice for you now. Is your 'phone marked underneath as plain and simple 332, or is it marked 332L or 332F. The majority of 332s were fitted with numeric dials; these being either 332 or 332F. Some, however, were 332L; this was the 'Director' version with letters and numbers on the dial. If you wished to call Scotland Yard at Whitehall 1212, you would have dialled WHI followed by 1212, for example. Check your telephone and make sure you know which type of dial to acquire; if it's 332F you want a 'Director' dial, otherwise a numeric dial.

Most of these 'phones went through the various GPO works for refurbishment at some point in their lives. Telephones thus treated will be stamped underneath with something like FBR 57/3. On rare occasions the GPO would fit a plastic 700 series dial, so the dial on yours could be 'genuine' if not truly authentic. The wiring may have been altered if a later 700 dial was fitted, so beware of that. If an early 700 dial has been fitted, the wiring will still be as per the 300 series and it will also fit mechanically. Chrome fingerplate dials were also fitted to very early 700s, hence the compatibility.

Telephones by other manufacturers, notably GEC, in their versions of the 700 series, used chrome fingerplates. Make sure you're not offered one of these as the method of fitting differs from the 300 series.

Sorry to waffle on, but you need to ensure you obtain the correct dial. Hope that helps.
Old 25th Mar 2007, 1:01 pm   #3
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Hi Darren, Many thanks for the valuable info. The numbers on the base of the phone read 332 C.B. PX. 52/2A. if that means anything to you. Regards, Colin.
Old 25th Mar 2007, 1:15 pm   #4
Station X

CB means Central Battery. This was a manual exchange system where the battery was located centrally at the exchange. There were also Local Battery (LB) systems where the battery was located in the customer's premises. Another variant was Central Battery Signalling (CBS) where signalling (off/on hook signal) used a central battery, but speech current was derived from a local battery.

CB phones did not have dials, as it was a manual system. A blanking plate was fitted in place of the dial.

That brings back memories for me!

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 25th Mar 2007, 2:57 pm   #5
ekcobeach
Rest in Peace

Hi Graham, So if i understand you correctly,my phone must have been altered at a later time.I'd still like to source a metal dial because the plastic one (although working fine) just does not look right. Regards, Colin.
Old 25th Mar 2007, 3:02 pm   #6
Station X

Yes Colin.

If it began life as a CB phone the dial has been added later, either by the GPO or a later owner.

There were 700 series CB telephones too. All that remained of the "dial" was a round dial centre label.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread