UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Aug 2016, 10:41 pm   #1
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Default Nikkai TLG-99

I was given one of these tonight by a friend, for use on the older VHS machines and retro consoles. Having a hard time finding any info on this set, looking for instructions to print out and a genuine remote. I'm guessing it's a budget make but does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	129200  
Old 26th Aug 2016, 1:09 am   #2
Clydeuk
Hexode

Default Re: Nikkai TLG-99

We used to repair loads of these in the late 80's/early 90's. They came in a variety of brands but the ones I remember most were badged Solavox or Soundwave. The remote control is a very basic one with channel up/down, volume up/down and standby. A common fault with the remote version which I never found a solution for was a tendency to change channel by itself.

Later in the 1990's these were one of a few portables that suffered green spot on the scan coils due to the rubber wedges deteriorating and leaking a corrosive liquid that attacked the enamelled wires.

For a cheap set they gave a good picture, though due to the intermittent channel change problem I always preferred the non remote version.
Old 26th Aug 2016, 1:32 am   #3
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Hi, so far it's staying put on channel 1, I had the back off to give it a clean with the air duster and Hoover, no physical signs of damage. The screen is bright and doesn't appear to suffer any problems. The number strip slides out, I assume this is for custom channel naming. The crt is made by Samsung.
Cheers

Steve
Old 26th Aug 2016, 1:47 am   #4
John123
Heptode

Hi Steve,

There was a thread on these a while back. You can view it here.
Old 26th Aug 2016, 8:15 am   #5
1955APREN
Hexode

re remote
It might be very hard to obtain a genuine remote, but a One 4 All
urc 7110 programed with the No 0714. These can be obtained from
lots of leading stores. The remote will have more funtions on if than you
require but should work well for ch up/down, vol up/down
hope this might help.
regards Derrick
Old 26th Aug 2016, 9:22 am   #6
Vauxfan2k
Hexode

Thanks for the link John, very helpful. And il get one of those magic remotes in the meantime Derrick, thanks guys

Last edited by Vauxfan2k; 26th Aug 2016 at 9:22 am. Reason: Spelling
Old 27th Aug 2016, 6:14 pm   #7
nigelr2000
Heptode

It's a long time ago but I seem to remember the cure for the random channel change was to solder a grid of 2 vertical and 2 horizontal wires over the remote sensor window of the ir receiver can to stop interference, I think it was in television magazine.
Old 27th Aug 2016, 6:26 pm   #8
Restoration73
Nonode

I had a Solavox one where the IR receive failed, I fitted a 10k reverse log pot for the DC volume control and a 20k lin pot with built in slow motion drive for the tuning voltage. The AFC took care of any potential drift problem. Lasted for years.
Old 27th Aug 2016, 10:21 pm   #9
Clydeuk
Hexode

Wish I had known about the modification for the random channel change. We used to get loads of the Soundwave branded sets in for an ex catalogue outlet we had a contract for. I would have to soak test every one after repair as they were going out for resale, and virtually every one suffered that problem. A lot of potential money went in write-offs there. Somehow I always thought it was an external problem, though I remember moving a set to an area with no flourescent lights to test that theory and the fault showed itself again.

One fault I do remember clearly was the set being stuck in standby, when powered off it would make a pumping noise. Disconnecting the front panel would allow the set to come on but with no controls. Removing a transistor on the main board used to get the sets working (I think this was even reported as a fix in Television magazine), however the set couldn't be put into standby then. I traced the problem to the ceramic resonator on the front control panel, I think it was the same type used in a lot of remote controls at the time, where it also gave trouble.
Old 28th Aug 2016, 12:16 am   #10
John123
Heptode

Our Osaki branded one used to live in my parents room, but on a few occasions was brought downstairs to be used as the living room telly when the 'big TV' had been playing up.

It would be hooked up to analogue cable TV (via NTL as it was then) using their supplied (Jerrold) cable box. The problem was every time a button was pressed on the cable remote, it would cause the set to jump to channel nine!

I recall we left it tuned to channel nine to get round the problem!
Closed Thread