UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Apr 2007, 5:55 pm   #1
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Last frame aerial?

yesnaby's thread as to when ferrite rod aerials first appeared reminded me, in an off-topic way hence this posting, of my surprise when I secured an example of Tandberg's first transistor radio and found it to have a frame aerial instead. The model, the "Transistor Portable" - it doesn't seem to have received any other designation - was introduced in 1963. It's an excellent radio in every way, as I'd come to expect from Tandberg hence my purchase of a tea-chest of sundries at the local auction for the sake of acquiring it. Five wavebands are covered, LW, MW, trawler band, SW and VHF, and long wave performance in particular is exceptional: Radio 4 LW is hardly listenable up here on many sets but the frame aerial brings it in well, and a selection of other stations besides. But I can't think of a single mainstream UK transistor portable without a ferrite rod. Anyone?

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_04240061A.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	9384   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007_04240062A.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	9385  
Closed Thread