UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2016, 1:16 pm   #1
Rewind reset
Retired Dormant Member

Default Philips N7300 tape guide roller

Hello all
I am currently trying to locate a way of replacing a tape roller guide on the Philips N7300.
I have not been able to locate anybody thus far who has a spare or can offer any help regarding adapting something else from another model/ machine.
On this forum, I am hoping for some wisdom and insight, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Obviously if someone has one for sale even better!! Thank you in advance.
Old 27th May 2016, 10:02 am   #2
Chindit
Tetrode

Default Re: Philips N7300 tape guide roller

Hello,
What do you mean by a tape roller guide please? I am new to reel to reel, so don't have much experience as of yet, so forgive me. I'm interested in the Philips stuff too; I now have two N4504s and two N4506s. Do you mean the rubber pinch roller that runs against the capstan? If so, I would have thought it quite likely that these will be a generic part common to other models and there are certainly pinch rollers for the N4xxx series for sale on eBay. If you can give the the diameter and depth of the pinch roller, I can measure one of mine to see if they might be the same.
Best wishes, Colin.
Old 27th May 2016, 11:16 am   #3
toshiba tony
Heptode

Hello Colin, Are you still harping on about your Philips beauties, I've got over the fact you won't sell me your speakers! Anyway, re the pinch rollers, they are available for about 35 quid. By the way, what was your recording issue with your deck, or are you up and running now?
Take care
Tony
Old 1st Jun 2016, 8:27 am   #4
Chindit
Tetrode

Hello again Tony,
Well, I was hoping Rewind reset would confirm it IS a pinch roller he's looking for. I posted the outcome of the recording difficulties a week or so ago on my N4506 thread - you'll laugh when you read it!!!
Colin.
Old 1st Jun 2016, 12:16 pm   #5
toshiba tony
Heptode

I can beat that, used to work for Sony, one day head engineer came in, struggled for 1 hour fault finding a dead crt. No power to his bench, AND IT WASNT ME
Old 1st Jun 2016, 2:07 pm   #6
toshiba tony
Heptode

We belong in the same home, dribbling down our shirt fronts.
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 1:07 pm   #7
Rewind reset
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Chindit
I'm sorry for the late reply but have no real idea how the forum works regarding replies and being alerted about replies. probably something I did not sort out when registering.

However that aside the "rollers I'm speaking of " are the metal tape guide rollers that the tape passes around before the tape passes through the heads. They push on and pull off. I can send you a photo if there is a way to do so on the forum otherwise I can email you my details and do it that way.
Old 3rd Jun 2016, 8:30 pm   #8
AC/HL
Dekatron

Hi RR,
To get email notification, click on "Thread Tools" at the top of the first post and select subscribe. To post photos read this thread: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=77650
Old 4th Jun 2016, 5:17 am   #9
toshiba tony
Heptode

Sorry to butt in, Colin is probably more clued up on these machines than I am, but after reading he solved his problem re. recording I am not so sure. (joking Colin)
Right, your metal rollers on the tension arms. What is the problem with them?
I posted on here about them and got a number of replies. Philips designed the 4506 and dictated they shouldn't rotate on their shaft, why I don't know. That's Philips for you, but to prevent any drag on them they must be spotless, no oxide whatsover, I also think any flat spots that will form with use will impede tape transport, because more metal is in contact with the tape. I don't know why Philips made them fixed, some manufacturers make them rotate in use, some don't, Philips have always been different, the shaft that the rollers sit on are flat on one side and the rollers have a flat on the inside. What I do whilst rewinding or fast forwarding is unlace the tape but I fear the wear takes place during play and record, mainly because the supply reel is providing more back tension in this mode. I don't see what would be wrong with machining a couple of rollers (collars) to replace the existing ones. Tape friction would certainly be reduced, I can't think of any reason it would be detrimental to any tape transport function, and I feel it would be kinder to tapes. But as I say, the collars must be totally oxide free.
Old 9th Jun 2016, 11:23 am   #10
Chindit
Tetrode

RR, I'm in the same boat as you regarding replies! Either that or I'm a bit slow on the uptake!!! So we are talking about the fixed (non-rotating), polished guides that form the ends of the sprung tension arms? The first and last things the tape passes round after leaving LH/ before joining RH reel?
What is wrong with them? are they just worn or is one of them missing? Feel free to add a photo. Colin.
Old 12th Jun 2016, 2:40 pm   #11
Rewind reset
Retired Dormant Member

This is a picture of the "tape guide" I hope the picture shows in the thread.
Thank you in advance Chindits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	125949  
Old 12th Jun 2016, 3:23 pm   #12
toshiba tony
Heptode

Ah right, this is a totally different deck to the one I imagined, but I will look at the service manual and report back.
Old 13th Jun 2016, 9:21 am   #13
Chindit
Tetrode

Yes, you've got me flummoxed as well! I was expecting it to be just like the other N45xx machines and therefore a generic part. All I can suggest, apart from trying to source a similar scrap machine and taking the part you need from it, is maybe to look at the possibility of asking a small engineering company if they can produce something based on the surviving tape guide. Sorry I can't be any more help! Colin.
Closed Thread