UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th May 2016, 8:37 am   #21
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Replacing half wave with full wave rectifier.

Can someone refresh my memory as to the DC o/p with various types of filter circuits? DC = AC x 1.414 with acapacitor after the rectifier, whether said rectifier is half-wave, full wave or bridge, right?, but what is the effect on DC of including, e.g., a choke in series with the rectifier. ( I should know all this after all the years I've been repairing radios, etc., but wouldn't pass a theoretical exam now!!)
Old 26th May 2016, 9:18 am   #22
ms660
Dekatron

With no load connected, the DC voltage across the filter capacitor will equal the peak AC for half/full wave, full wave bridge and CRC,CLC and LC filters so far as I know.

Lawrence.
Old 26th May 2016, 9:26 am   #23
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

If sufficient current is drawn, a choke input filter will give an output of the average voltage which is Vrms times 0.9. At very low currents the output will rise to Vrms times root 2. A small load resistor is sometimes included to limit this.

The current is almost constant so it is much kinder on the rectifier and transformer.
Old 26th May 2016, 9:32 am   #24
Radio Wrangler

Ah, don't use 1N4007 family rectifiers if you can avoid it in a receiver. They are very slow and turn off with a snap which has harmonics right across the HF bands. Buy some 'ultrafast' rectifier diodes instead. It's another one of those counter-intuitive trip-ups that faster switching means less noise in this case. Slow diodes without a lot of careful filtering could make things fail EMC tests.

David
Old 26th May 2016, 9:56 am   #25
turretslug
Dekatron

BA159 are cheap as chips and widely available- I threw away 1N4007s a long time ago. (1NOISE4007!)
Old 26th May 2016, 11:16 am   #26
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Aren't the UF400x series better than the 1N400x diodes, David?
Old 26th May 2016, 12:40 pm   #27
MALC SCOTT
Octode

UF = ultra fast.
Old 26th May 2016, 12:40 pm   #28
AC/HL
Dekatron

I think this came from an old RS catalogue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rectifiers.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	125013  
Old 26th May 2016, 2:09 pm   #29
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
Ah, don't use 1N4007 family rectifiers if you can avoid it in a receiver. They are very slow and turn off with a snap which has harmonics right across the HF bands.
It's not exactly a cutting edge radio David but I get you.

Something tells me what I think are 1n4007 in my box of goodies are UF5407 anyway. In any case theres no difference in price in any substantial way so it makes sense to keep a stock of the Ultrafast or even schottkies in. I'll bet the existing diode is even worse than a 1N4007 being of an early generation of these beasties.

A.

Last edited by bikerhifinut; 26th May 2016 at 2:30 pm. Reason: missed 2 words!
Old 26th May 2016, 2:24 pm   #30
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I think this came from an old RS catalogue.
Brilliant!

That's a useful chart i will store that in my file of useful info!

It more or less tells me that I have no issues using a FW Bridge in this cheap and cheerful radio. It's destined for a workshop receiver so mostly as long as I can get BBC Cumbria once moved, and I'll be building up a pantry Tx for use with the MP3 player thats got an FM radio in it so I'll be sorted.

As noted in a previous thread that I found about this particular radio, the main smoothing and reservoir capacitors are only rated at 150V and although they havent gone pop yet, I am minded to replace the dual can with something a bit more robust. its a 40 + 60 uF unit but I reckon a 40+40 or 50+50 will do the same job.

OT a bit but it would sort out an issue I have with a mains transformer that is slightly over voltage for the SE EL84 amp it's destined for. I can use a LCRC filter instead of the CLCRC that is there now and 90% of the voltage is about right.

Thanks Bill.

A.
Old 26th May 2016, 9:19 pm   #31
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi gents, attached a copy of the Mullard "rectifier circuits table" from on of their app notes.

This has the ACrms to peak/ average and Dc voltages for various rectifier configurations

Ed
Attached Files
File Type: pdf dismusp3.pdf (219.7 KB, 152 views)
Old 26th May 2016, 10:04 pm   #32
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerhifinut
90% of the voltage is about right.
Just checking that you are clear that choke input means 90% of Vrms, not 90% of the Vpk you get with capacitor input? Switching from half-wave to full-wave means a tiny increase in voltage; switching from cap input to choke input means a big decrease in voltage.
Old 27th May 2016, 8:41 am   #33
ms660
Dekatron

http://www.r-type.org/articles/art-144.htm

Lawrence.
Old 27th May 2016, 1:31 pm   #34
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8HQP Dave View Post
Switching from half-wave to full-wave means a tiny increase in voltage; switching from cap input to choke input means a big decrease in voltage.
Absolutely! Though the choke input filter does have a stable output voltage, once you get above the minimum current.

For 100V RMS input, the DC voltage starts at 141V and as load is increased, sags to 90V and then stays pretty steady.
Old 27th May 2016, 6:49 pm   #35
bikerhifinut
Octode

I do know the difference.

A.
Old 27th May 2016, 8:36 pm   #36
Brigham
Octode

Do you have enough room for an AZ31?
Old 28th May 2016, 5:59 pm   #37
bikerhifinut
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigham View Post
Do you have enough room for an AZ31?
It's not relevant here Brigham, it's a silicon rectifier and the transformer's not centre tapped. Nice idea mind, and I think there's room for a 6X4 in there and that could be used as part of a hybrid rectifier, but I dont need the voltage drop as it now happens and I fear the mains transformer is already probably working at its limits. Plus its not best practice to run a rectifier valve heater off the same winding as the rest of your valves.

I think we've covered most of the initial question now, and it basically boils down to, 1) it's probably not going to make any noticeable difference as paul first suggested, and 2) put a bridge in as it should take some strain off the mains transformer.

Thanks to everyone who contributed, some very useful hints and information's come out of this from my point of view.

A.
Old 28th May 2016, 8:30 pm   #38
julie_m
Dekatron

You can use a full-wave rectifier valve and two Silicon diodes in a bridge configuration, no need for a centre tap. But semis are cheating, really

Edit: Also, EZ40 / 80 / 81 are specifically designed with excellent H-K insulation so as to be able to share a heater supply with other valves.
Old 28th May 2016, 10:50 pm   #39
bikerhifinut
Octode

Sure Julie, what you say is absolutely right.

I think I did mention a hybrid rectifier in the previous post, there can be advantages in as much as you get a gently rising HT. And It may well be cheating I guess but its an easy way to get the advantage of a valve rectifier I guess?

I stand four square behind my comments re its not best practice to heat a rectifier with the same winding as the rest of your valves.
I know some gear did that but that will only have been to save on a winding.

regards

Andy.
Old 30th May 2016, 11:23 am   #40
G8HQP Dave
Rest in Peace

EZ80 etc. were specifically designed to run off the same heater chain as the other valves. An indirectly heated rectifier intended for its own winding could have much thinner heater-cathode insulation and so draw less heater current and warm up much more quickly.
Closed Thread