UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Feb 2012, 2:47 pm   #1
monkeyman
Retired Dormant Member

Default BSR tonearm problems.

Hello,

I have a problem with the tone arm on two of my BSR decks.

Not sure of the model, but it's an older one - gold in colour with brown turntable mat (from a Dansette Major). Everytime I correct the postion of the arm to drop on the start of a 33rpm record, the start postion of the 45rpm record is way off. Also when I think it's just about right, the tone arm drops and seems to bounce of the end of the record. Any ideas what may be causing this?

My other deck I believe to be a UA15. (from a Dansette Bermuda MK1) 33rpm records play great. Start and finish correctly. 45rpm records start correctly but seem to end before the end of the record. It usually lifts approx 10mm from the end. Any ideas why this is happening?

Hope someone can help.

Many thanks,

Dean.
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 3:23 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: BSR tone arm problems

Hi Dean,

The first deck is probably a UA8. All the problems you describe are, usually, attributed to dried up grease in the deck mechanism. If you search the forum, especially the VA section, using relevant keywords you'll find plenty of information. However, could you elaborate on what you mean by "correct the position of the arm"? Are you altering the settings via the adjustments at the rear of the tonearm? If so, all you're doing is making matters worse because you're merely whitewashing over the real cause of the trouble.

On the UA15 problem, same again, old oil and grease. To be more specific in this case, you have a problem with a sticking trip pawl. Search for "trip pawl" and you'll find all you need to know.
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 8:18 pm   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Default Re: BSR tonearm problems.

Whether this is official or not, I don't know, but I was always told that if you set the dropping position for a 10" record correctly, then the 7" and 12" inch will be correct also.

Barry
Old 22nd Feb 2012, 9:02 pm   #4
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

I've also heard that and I think it came from the setting-up procedure at the factory. I believe they were set on some sort of jig or template, for which 10" was presumably a practical and convenient size.

Of course, from the point of view of the user there's no reason why setting up for 7" wouldn't mean 10" and 12" would also be correctly set. Same if setting up for 12" in respect of 7" and 10".
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 11:48 pm   #5
monkeyman
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Darren,
When I mean adjust the arm, I mean the screw for where it lands on the record. Is there any reason why the arm seems to bounce back off the record when it drops?
Thanks.
Old 23rd Feb 2012, 11:53 pm   #6
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The most obvious reason for the bouncing is incorrect tracking weight; set too light in other words.
Closed Thread