UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jan 2013, 5:09 pm   #1
clueless1985
Retired Dormant Member

Red face Dansette vintage Record Player from the 1960's

Hi Everyone

I am new to this forum but have seen some very useful posts and people have been so helpful I wondered if you might be able to help me.

I bought a Dansette vintage Record Player from the 1960s photo attached - but can't get it to work. The seller said this in the description so it has been serviced and was in full working order so it should work.

I have no knowledge of these really (I bought it for my dad's birthday next week and he does, but I wanted to give it to him working). So the arm that you put onto the record to play it once you have turned it on makes a slow whirling noise (like the dragging of a record noise) and then falls off so it won't play. The "rubber looking pad" which I have googled and is called the stylus? or at least that is the needle part, at the end of the arm looks to be coming off so maybe it's a simple as buying a new one of these - are they easy to buy replacements for? Perhaps it is something else though? How will I know which one to buy to try it?

Many thanks in advance for your kind help with this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	record.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	74800  
Old 8th Jan 2013, 5:20 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Dansette vintage Record Player from the 1960's

You were sold this "In full working order and serviced", but it doesn't work?

Take it back to the seller and ask him to fix it or give you your money back.

------------------------------------

It looks like the transit screws haven't been screwed in. They are screwed out in transit. One screw is just visible at top left and there's another under the pick up arm. That won't be your problem though.

The stylus should have a sharp point. If all you can see is a rubber pad then the stylus has dropped out or was never there.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 5:31 pm   #3
clueless1985
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you so much for the prompt reply, I have gone back to the seller but still waiting to hear.

I will check the screws tonight and the Stylus and see if it has a sharp point. Can I buy a new Stylus from someone or have one fitted? How would I know which type of Stylus I need? and presumably a new rubber pad?

Thank you!
Clueless
Old 8th Jan 2013, 5:50 pm   #4
Station X

Under the end of the arm will be a cartridge with wires attached to it. On it somewhere will be a type number. We need that type number. A picture of what's under the arm would also help us to see what's amiss or missing.

The question of replacement cartridges and styluses has been discussed endless times in these forums. I'm sure one of our resident record player experts will be able to help you.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 5:53 pm   #5
julie_m
Dekatron

And it is fitted with a flipover cartridge; most of which were strictly mono-only and would ruin stereo records.

Graham is right. Take it back to the seller for a refund or a proper repair. If that's what they call "serviced and working", I'm not sure I would want to buy from them.
Old 8th Jan 2013, 7:33 pm   #6
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
And it is fitted with a flipover cartridge; most of which were strictly mono-only and would ruin stereo records.
The cartridge is an Acos GP67, which, as AJS has said, is mono only. To play any records later than the early seventies, you will need to replace it with a type that will play stereo records safely. The current one will wreck them.

Barry
Old 8th Jan 2013, 9:45 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Can you post a good pic of the bit that "looks to be coming off" please?
Old 9th Jan 2013, 11:21 am   #8
clueless1985
Retired Dormant Member

I have fixed it! Thank you so much for all your advice, I hadn't screwed one of the transit screws in under the arm. And then the Stylus was tucked in so I have pulled the sharp bit out and now it plays.

Thank you so much for your tips super useful Happy clueless.
Old 9th Jan 2013, 12:49 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Well done, thanks for updating us.
Old 10th Jan 2013, 5:53 pm   #10
camtechman
Nonode

Happy clueless and one very happy Dad too, lucky fella.