UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Aug 2007, 7:23 pm   #1
plaka78
Pentode

Default Medium Wave Transmitter

I have been busy designing and building this transmitter today. I have made separate modules for the various stages. The sound quality is superb. Next job is to build some kind of chassis
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mwtx.JPG
Views:	420
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	11789  
Old 24th Aug 2007, 7:45 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Medium Wave Transmitter

Do you have a circuit diagram?

Paul
Old 24th Aug 2007, 7:52 pm   #3
plaka78
Pentode

The Transmitter is at my place of work. I will draw the cct diagram next week and post it
on this site as soon as possible.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 9:16 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I assume this is a low power device with a range of no more than a few tens of metres and an output of no more than 100mW e.i.r.p.? Anything more than that cannot be discussed here.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 24th Aug 2007, 9:23 pm   #5
plaka78
Pentode

hello Paul

best thing is to close the thread. I have not got anyway of measuring the output power
Old 24th Aug 2007, 9:45 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaka78 View Post
hello Paul

best thing is to close the thread. I have not got anyway of measuring the output power
Judging from your pictures there shouldn't be a problem with the output power. If it uses less than, say, 20mA from its power supply it's likely to be OK under the forum rules.

We just don't allow people to discuss transmitters which are clearly illegal and likely to cause a nuisance to others.

Paul
Old 24th Aug 2007, 10:04 pm   #7
Ray Cooper
Retired Dormant Member

I see from the piccie that you are using a ferrite rod: is this being used just as a convenient inductor, or do you have a separate aerial wire connected too? (We've had quite a discussion about ferrite rods as tx aerials in these pages quite recently, and I think the consensus of opinion is that they radiate quite inefficiently).

I also see that your breadboard is resting on a work-surface that seems to include quite a lot of offcuts of wire, etc. Be advised that this is quite a good way of producing puzzling effects...
Old 24th Aug 2007, 10:08 pm   #8
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If it is intended for rebroadcasting in your own home (minimising interference to neighbours etc) it's fine. If it's intended for broadcasting to the neighbourhood or over any real distance then it isn't.

Paul Stenning
Old 24th Aug 2007, 10:12 pm   #9
plaka78
Pentode

Basically the circuit consist of an oscillator driving a BFY51 transistor, The Output tuned circuit is a series tuned and is shunt fed by a 330 ohm resistor in the collector of BFY51, which gives out a very clean sine wave. The Modulator runs at 30v using an emitter follower stage therefore with no modulation the TX output transistor is running at 15v.

The circuit did start of as a cobweb circuit and then I rebuilt it bit by bit on vero
board. It worked quite well just radiating of the ferrite rod.
Old 24th Aug 2007, 11:00 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

As Ray highlighted above and as has been discussed previously, ferrite rods are very inefficient radiators. With a 30V supply (capable of an amp or so by the look of it) and an output transistor with a heatsink, it looks like you are pushing significant power into a very inefficient antenna. So although the range will probably be within the confines of your home (which is fine), I wonder whether there is a more efficient way of achieving the results.

Bear in mind that some of the 100mW rebroadcasters run from a PP3 battery or a small plug-in adaptor, use a TO92 plastic packaged output transistor with a length of wire as an antenna, and can achieve a range of tens of metres or more.

You would probably find that if you attached a wire antenna to yours, the range would increase substantially. Then you could reduce the supply voltage and output stage drive to get it back down to the range required.

I am not a low power transmitter expert though. I have tested and reviewed a few here http://www.vintage-radio.com/reviews/transmitters.html so have seen what goes into them. I have also seen some of the circuits for 100mW transmitters on the MWA archive site here http://www.geocities.com/raiu_harrison/mwa/. They all seem to use lower voltage supplies and smaller transistors to achieve the same sort of results as your design.

This is not intended to be criticism; just questioning the approach you have used in your design.

Paul Stenning
Old 25th Aug 2007, 1:26 am   #11
paulsherwin

I agree that reducing the power supply to, say, 9V and improving the aerial design would be the way to go. Such an approach would also be less likely to fall foul of the forum rules

Paul
Old 25th Aug 2007, 10:38 am   #12
plaka78
Pentode

I will experiment with a frame antenna next week. When I got time I will design a circuit that will run on a PP3 battery. I have experimented in the past with modulating various oscillators but found that they don’t modulate in a linear way and also slightly deviate in frequency .

By the way medium wave here is totally useless there is so much interference from digi and sky boxes etc.
Closed Thread