UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Dec 2016, 1:48 pm   #21
ltunstall
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Stereosound Carousel Concord record player - distorted sound

OK so I need to find the catridge mentioned above and sell this one. With the other catridge can I play any LP's, or is it just ones before a certain date? I'm a little confused in regards to the mono/stereo LP's
Old 7th Dec 2016, 2:35 pm   #22
ltunstall
Retired Dormant Member

Is there an alternative cartridge that can be used here? Like the SC12H? or so I've read on the forums? Would it be advisable to do this?
Old 7th Dec 2016, 2:38 pm   #23
Nuvistor
Dekatron

In Mono LP's the groove is only modulated in a lateral direction, the cartridge only requires lateral compliance, a Stereo LP is modulated in both lateral and vertical directions and requires compliance in both axis.

If you play a stereo record with a Mono cartridge it will damage the groove. The stylus tip size and shape are also different for Mono and Stereo records.

You can safely play stereo and mono 33/45 rpm records with a stereo cartridge and stylus or with a stereo comaptible cartridge.

Frank

For cartridge replacements, other member will give better advice than I can.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 2:56 pm   #24
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The ideal cartridge for you is a mono stereo-compatible BSR X5M, and you can just swap them over. If you get a stereo cartridge such as the BSR SC11M or BSR SC12H or BSR SC12M, it may not play quite as loud, but will still be loud enough. If you end up buying any of these three, you will need to bridge the left hand and right hand channels, otherwise you will only hear part of the recording. Because they are highly demanded, you should be able to easily sell your BSR X5H and re-cover you costs.