UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2016, 12:09 pm   #41
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Favourite Radio Manufacturer?

I guess this thread will run and run - so I'll throw in the Ferranti 1055, just before EKCO came on the scene. Edward
Old 6th Dec 2016, 2:30 pm   #42
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldelectronics View Post
What a great way to store/display them!
Thanks, it's just an Argos display unit. You could also get them in black at one time, but they only stocked chrome when I bought mine. I dare say they're available in both colours on the internet. I wanted to create a display that was more 'artistic' and 'room friendly' rather than looking like something out of a museum. Each to their own of course.
Old 7th Dec 2016, 7:14 pm   #43
MotorBikeLes
Nonode

My favourite radios are all W. German from the early sixties, and especially NordMende. I still have transita Automatic given to me by the original purchaser, fantastic for listening to the TT on MW. Then there is the Transita GT which I bought new, excellent radio. There top of the range transistor sets were of course the Globetrotters, and I have a much later one (1979) which, other than varicap tuning is essentially a natural development of the first ones (1959 or 60 I think)
But they also did valve radios of course, and table radios with 4 speakers in full stereo take some beating. I have a 1967 Parsifal, but there was a better series than that.
However, today I had a pleasant surprise; my weekly visit to the amenity site found a BIG Sharp GF555. The one seen on the shoulders of many W.Indian youths 30+ years ago. Some surface dust, but otherwise looking as new. Only a trace of brown tape stain on one capstan and nothing on the other. Amazing FM performance, plenty on MW, a couple of LW stations (R4 plus an Irish voice) and quite a few stations in the 6MHz section on SW, plus a few elsewhere on the band. When I turned it over after poking in the battery compartment, a piece of aluminium trim fell on the floor. The Evostic type of adhesive seems to have dried out. My tube is too hard, so will need a new tube. This will be a sticker!
Les.
Closed Thread