UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2015, 11:02 pm   #1
mpegjohn
Hexode

Default Air cored coils

Hi,
In my SW superhet, that tunes from 3MHz to 30MHz, I am looking at using 22mm poly tube as the formers for the RF amp and the tuned grid oscillator.
The 1st IF is 1.493MHz.

I aim to have 4 ranges.

To do the range switching, I am thinking of using relays. Can anyone comment on what would be the best type.

Can someone help on how to minimize interaction between unused coils? I had thought of using pcb copper clad to make a box around a coil and its trimmer/ padder, I am concerned about the size of all this.

Can anyone advise.

Thank you.
John
Old 28th Jan 2015, 11:59 pm   #2
Silicon
Nonode

Default Re: Air cored coils

Many radios solve this problem by having contacts on the wavechange switch that short out the unused coils.
Old 29th Jan 2015, 12:30 am   #3
Wendymott
Octode

Hi John. As Silicon says, Eddystone in particular use conventional switch wafers, and Shorting wafers to minimise adjacent effects. My EC10 conversion shows this clearly.
See attached schematic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EC10 Front end.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	103371  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 29th Jan 2015, 12:31 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

For range switching relays, DIL reed types are good for HF signal switching. Mercury wetted ones if you're really serious.....
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Jan 2015, 10:25 am   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Don't know if it's of any help, but the G3TSO multi-band transceiver which featured in Radcom in the late 1980s, of which many hundreds were built, (using the long since defunct SL6xxx series of Plessey ICs), used diode band-switching. Below is a clip of the relevant part of the circuit, from the 1994 Radio Communications Handbook. I built all the modules, then lost interest in amateur radio and sold them at the G-QRP Convention, so I can't comment on the band-switching, which used both 1N914 and 1N4001 diodes.

(I recall that some years earlier, a solid state rig by the late Lorin Knight, G2DXK, used little reed relays for switching crystal filters in and out).

Might give some ideas.

Good luck with your SW superhet John.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	G3TSO Rig Diode Switching_edited-1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	103378  
Old 29th Jan 2015, 4:34 pm   #6
mpegjohn
Hexode

Thank you all,
The receiver is a valve set, so not sure how diodes would work?
Old 30th Jan 2015, 9:03 am   #7
mpegjohn
Hexode

If I do use reed relays, would it be ok to put all related coils in series, and then just short out the ones not in use. I am a little worried what happens at 30MHz with all this hanging around!
Can I put all coild side by side, if the not in use cois are bypassed?

Thaks,
John
Old 30th Jan 2015, 10:20 am   #8
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

TO5 cased relays are available which, being small, will have low inductance. I do not know whether these are sealed with an inert atmosphere.

I read somewhere that gold flashed silver contacts should never be run above about 1V if they are to be used to switch a signal path due to the destruction of the gold layer.
Old 30th Jan 2015, 10:57 am   #9
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I have used the TO5-cased SPCO relays [made by a US company called Teledyne] for low-pass-filter switching in a HF exciter unit - the "changeover" bit being used to short the in/out terminals of the filters to earth when they weren't selected, to prevent the risk of spurious 'suck-out' coupling/detuning effects on adjacent filters in the block.
Old 30th Jan 2015, 11:36 am   #10
mpegjohn
Hexode

Trouble is that if I go for relays, I will need 2 per coil, with 5 ranges, 1 LO coil 2 RF coils I will need 30 relays.

The primaries of the RF transformers, and the tickler coil of the LOI, I plan to just use a sp relay and leave them open.
The secondaries of the RF and LO, I will use a SPCO and short them out when unused, and disconnect them from the rest of the circuit.

Teledyne relays are expensive.
Old 30th Jan 2015, 12:05 pm   #11
Tyso_Bl
Hexode

Can you show us what you're trying to do? Theremay be a way to do more with less, diode switching would be a good way to go.
Old 30th Jan 2015, 12:37 pm   #12
mpegjohn
Hexode

Ok I will try to draw a schematic.
Old 30th Jan 2015, 1:09 pm   #13
dominicbeesley
Octode

Another option for the change over would be a push button arrangement - its a long time ago but I remember making something using 4 record/playback switched I'd harvested from old cassette recorders. The good thing with those is there are a lot of contacts to choose from.

I can't remember where I got the switchover mechanism but it was probably an old 4 button car radio.

D
Old 30th Jan 2015, 1:28 pm   #14
mpegjohn
Hexode

Here is a drawing I have done of the switching arrangements I think I need for my osc, rf amp in and out.
I have shown only one range.

Hope it helps to visualize what I think I need.

Thanks John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	transformer_switching.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	103458  
Old 30th Jan 2015, 2:28 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

The Teledyne TO5 relays are very very expensive, their reliability is OK, but not wonderful, I found.

Omron, SDS Relais, and several other firms do dual-in-line packaged relays with a variety of contact styles and materials. I found them to be capable of handling larger signals AND were more reliable. Many many more have been used than the TO5 jobs, so you're more likely to find them.

David
Old 30th Jan 2015, 3:40 pm   #16
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
The Teledyne TO5 relays are very very expensive, their reliability is OK, but not wonderful, I found.
I used them in my design because they were already being used elsewhere on other parts of the project and so had an existing stock-number. On a "Cost-plus" contract you don't worry about how expensive the parts are!

One worthwhile thing to do with almost any relays being used in very-low-level-signal applications like antenna-coil-selection is to arrange for a milliamp or two of DC to also be fed through the switching contacts. This was my standard [though non-EMER] fix for 'periodic deafness' of the old C11/R210 radios caused by oxide-film buildup on the send/receive relay.
Old 30th Jan 2015, 3:44 pm   #17
mpegjohn
Hexode

Is there a way to use diodes?
Old 30th Jan 2015, 5:10 pm   #18
mpegjohn
Hexode

How about placing a diode switch across the secondaries and makin the spdt switch spst, which would lower the cost.
Would a diode switch lower the Q of the tuned circuit?

How about this as a rough design
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	diode_bypass.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	103465  
Old 30th Jan 2015, 8:39 pm   #19
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

It can be done with P-i-N diodes - this has been the standard way for 'solid-state switching' in mobile two-way radios for a few decades.

You need to make sure there's a good forward-bias current flowing through the 'on' diodes and plenty of reverse-voltage on the 'off' diodes - get this wrong and an inadequately-on-biased or inadequately cut-off diode will work as a mixer and generate traumatic levels of intermodulation-products/sproggies.

I generally don't like diodes in signal-paths.
Closed Thread