UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2015, 12:33 am   #1
PJL
Dekatron

Default Air King Midget UK Model

I have done all I can for this rusty incomplete wreck with dangling wires and components none of which bore any resemblance to those required to make the set work.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?p=702409

Glued the wavechange switch wafer back together. Stripped the chassis and painted. Repaired the speaker cone, Pulled off the felt dust cover. Repaired the voice coil wires that snapped when I removed the dust cover. Freed the voice coil from the rusty pole piece. Found a USA Air King schematic to use as the template which matched the few remaining original components. Made some fake capacitors (I was bored one evening). Re-wired for a 120V supply (no chance of making it safe and this at least will halve the shock current). Found a set of valves. Repaired a broken wire on the aerial coil (was OK so must have broken when re-soldering the coil to the chassis although the coil was unravelling and needed a bit of wax treatment). Glued the cracked case. Repaired the grill cloth cardboard frame. Tried various web stain removal remedies on the grill cloth with limited success.

Its now quite sensitive on MW with reasonably low distortion and LW does a good job of receiving the usual interference.

Unfortunately, it starts to hum after about 30 minutes due to me stupidly not replacing the RS electrolytic which at 2x8uF is the wrong value as it should be 2x16uF. When I have recovered I will have another go.

A tip from the repair: If your radio works better with your finger on the first grid then check the aerial coil.

Another tip: Don't try to repair sets that are beyond help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Back as was.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	103444   Click image for larger version

Name:	Back.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	103445   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis front.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	103446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	103447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Underneath.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	103448  

Old 30th Jan 2015, 8:47 am   #2
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Air King Midget UK Model

That's nothing short of heroic and very well done.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 30th Jan 2015, 12:29 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

One post moved here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=113519
Old 30th Jan 2015, 12:50 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

That it is first class probaly an under statement.
Old 30th Jan 2015, 3:26 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Nice! Good to see another 'midget' saved from the grave!

I've always liked these little radios - considering how simple they are electronically they give a surprisingly good performance - and given the number of them still around they clearly filled a popular demand for a small bedroom/kitchen 'second set'.
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 12:56 am   #6
PJL
Dekatron

I stripped the grey plastic off the RS electrolytic and found an old leak and corrosion. New caps have raised the HT to the more correct 104V too.
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 7:44 am   #7
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Excellent piece of work. I thought my GER Mighty Midget was bad but this was worse.
It would be an idea to replace a sock over the speaker, it has an open pole gap and will collect dust and iron filings very easily.
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 11:53 am   #8
ajs37
Heptode

Brilliant work! You obviously have a fearless attitude to challenges such as this (and a lot of patience!)
Closed Thread