UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2010, 7:44 pm   #1
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Default 4mm Banana Plugs

I always use these for HT connections. I have noticed in recent times that new productions nearly always seem to have the grub screw in the side, dangerously exposed, so that if I plug the HT positive in whilst inadvertently having my hand on the chassis "wham bang!"
They still produce insulated ones where the connection is made inside the plastic body, but they always seem to be incredibly expensive. Does anyone produce cheap insulated banana plugs?

I have not received a "belt" from them yet, because I wrap them in insulation tape, but do not really like doing that!
Bob
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 11:36 pm   #2
Stockden
Heptode

Default Re: 4mm Banana Plugs

In recent times I've tended to use RS stackable 4mm plugs (which have no exposed grub screw) and which I pick up when I see them at rallies. I note however that Rapid do a "low cost" 4mm plug, which costs 25p in single quantities and is described as "solder connection". That looks like the sort of thing you might be after.

Hugh
Old 3rd Feb 2010, 11:40 pm   #3
McMurdo
Dekatron

Depends what you think is expensive! A high quality Deltron one at 42p and a cheap Cliff one at 39p, available from Farnell if you deal with them. CPC's start ata round the 50p mark plus their carriage.

I'd go with the Deltron ones.

http://uk.farnell.com/deltron/550-01...ack/dp/1101101
Old 4th Feb 2010, 9:09 am   #4
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies that all help a great deal. The ones I considered expensive were the Maplin ones at 89p each!
Bob
Old 4th Feb 2010, 7:56 pm   #5
jay_oldstuff
Octode

Just had some delivered from CPC think they where about 80p for two, solder type and not bad quality come in red or black.

Jay
Old 4th Feb 2010, 8:35 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

I posted recently about some from Maplins that have the added advantage of fitting wander sockets.
Old 7th Feb 2010, 12:35 am   #7
Antlong
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Bob,

Use a piece of heatshrinkk sleeving, that'd cover the exposed bit and if it were a bit longer than the plug it would also help to protect the end of the cable. Better still, a rubber sleeve but really these need three-pronged stretching pliers to be used properly.

Regards Ant
Old 7th Feb 2010, 8:39 am   #8
Variometer
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the replies. Over the past ten days, I have been dismantling numerous projects completed over the years and now find I have a fairly large plastic tub full of them. Also lots of other components that I had forgotten I had. I have noted all the suppliers so that when I run short again, I know where to go. I was also running out of 1/4 inch control knobs, but now I have a biscuit tin full!
Bob
Closed Thread