UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2006, 3:19 pm   #1
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Default Obsolete Standard Details Wanted

Hi,

I can find information on the French/Belgian 819-line standard, but the details of a couple of others are eluding me. I'm intending to work out X modelines for these so I can put the information on the website. To do this I need full details of the timings of the video waveform.

For CBS field-sequential colour I have the following details:
  • Early 40s - 343-line, 20.580kHz line, 120Hz field, 60Hz frame, 40Hz colour field, 20Hz colour frame.
  • 1949-1952 - 405-line, 29.160kHz line, 144Hz field, 72Hz frame, 48Hz colour field, 24Hz colour frame.
If anyone has the details of sync pulse width, line blanking, etc, etc; and particularly the details of how colour sync worked I'd appreciate it; I'd guess there was some difference in the V sync every third field.

The RGB combiner used for monochrome standards is not a lot of use in this case; what is needed is a circuit to sequentially select the red, green and blue video signals from the computer and generate and insert the correct syncs - not too difficult.

What will be more entertaining is I'll also have to build a set for it - hence some of the discussions elsewhere about modifying sets for somewhat odd and rather high line/field rates

Also, I only have the following information for other standards:
  • 1936-1940s USA 343-line, 10.290kHz line-rate
  • 1940s German 441-line, 11.025kHz line-rate
  • 1940s French 455-line, 11.375kHz line-rate
Again, I need all the timing details of the waveform.

I'd appreciate detailed information on any other standards anyone can come up with; 405, 525, 625 and 819 (and probably 240) I've got covered

Regards, Kat
Old 27th May 2006, 4:54 pm   #2
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Default Re: Obsolete Standard Details Wanted

Hi Kat,
The 1935 German 180 line standard must be (apart from the number of lines) similar to the Baird system. A single broad frame sync pulse and say, an 18 line long frame blanking period.

DFWB.
Old 27th May 2006, 8:31 pm   #3
peter_scott
Dekatron

Here's the US 441 line standard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	US441 (Large).JPG
Views:	185
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	3957  
Old 28th May 2006, 1:47 pm   #4
tubesrule
Hexode

Here's the CBS Color Standard. The additional red color frame sync pulse was not actually used by the CBS sets. They had a push button the operator would use to get the wheel to lock to one of the three possilities.

Darryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBS Standard Waveforms.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	3970  
Old 28th May 2006, 3:14 pm   #5
Station X

Didn't the first men to land on the moon use a colour TV camera with a rotating colour filter in front of the lens?

Anyone know the standard for that? I doubt there's much source material.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 28th May 2006, 8:21 pm   #6
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

The camera on Apollo 11 was monochrome. 325 lines, 10 frames per second. The secondary source I am using does not say whether interlaced or not. Subsequent Apollo missions had a camera with colur wheel in the CBS style. I don't know the resolution. All the cameras used a vidicon tube.
Closed Thread