UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2017, 11:15 pm   #1
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Default Roberts Revival carrying handle

Does anyone know if the carrying handle for this modern set will fit an R200? a lot of R200 sets have very tatty ones if they have one at all I have seen some revival handles for sale ( In pink granted! but not to difficult to change to red) My other solution was going to be cap off the holes and forget about the handle If any one has other suggestions about replacements I would be most grateful.

Regards Kev
Old 15th Jul 2017, 11:27 pm   #2
Squipper
Pentode

Default Re: Roberts Revival carrying handle

The R200 chassis length is 22cm, a standard 'Revival' handle is 37cm laid flat. When fitted to an R200, the 'loop' looks unnatural (too small compared to the original).

I have had success using a strap taken from a' Revival' R550 (A slightly bigger set - 39cm strap), recoloured with shoe leather dye, and with a minor adaptation to the end caps of the strap to make it fit the R200.

It wasn't as good as the original 2-tone blue / white handle, but did look the part when I'd finished.

PAUL - BVWS Member
Old 16th Jul 2017, 10:22 am   #3
Oldelectronics
Heptode

Thank you for that Squipper thats very useful

Regards

Kev
Old 17th Jul 2017, 12:19 pm   #4
Paul_RK
Dekatron

The R550 has been out of production for years now - the Roberts Sovereign is the only relatively recent set in that size of cabinet, and if Roberts have any handles to offer then asking for a Sovereign replacement might be the way to go.

Having said that, Revival-styled models lately, the handles included, are covered with a stuff that seems about as hard-wearing as crepe paper, so I'm not sure going to Roberts would be a good idea if you're contemplating ever using the handle for actually carrying the radio.

Paul
Old 17th Jul 2017, 3:32 pm   #5
Squipper
Pentode

I picked up an R550 for just a few pounds, stripped it for parts as I try my hardest to steer clear of the more modern sets. The strap as I mentioned in my post above came in particularly useful when I too restored an R200 just as the OP is looking to do. The R550 is covered with a relatively harder wearing 'faux' grained leathercloth, and so survives quite well. The even more modern DAB sets, like the RD10, RD50, & the RD60 have indeed been covered in a half-measure of crepe and fairy dust and degrade if there is but a gentle breeze under 5 miles away... I have no personal experience of handling a Roberts 'Sovereign', though I dare say looking at pictures of the set, it does lend me to the belief that they are covered in something with not at all thicker than felt-tipped pen ink....

PAUL - BVWS Member
Closed Thread