UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Oct 2014, 10:03 pm   #1
paulsherwin

Default Polyurethane glue - any use?

Seeing TV ads for the American polyurethane glue brand Gorilla Glue made me wonder if it's any use for the sort of cabinet and chassis jobs we do. I've no experience of it - I use Araldite, superglue, PVA, hot melt or contact adhesive as appropriate.

Has anybody got any experience of using it? What jobs (if any) is it good for? What brands have people used?

It seems to be mostly marketed as a wood glue, but I can't see any obvious advantages over PVA (light loading) or epoxy. Is it just a technology in search of an application?
Old 21st Oct 2014, 10:22 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Polyurethane glue - any use?

Curiously, Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glue is more helpful than Gorilla's website.

As with polyurethane foam, it appears that it is especially useful for wet (damp) surfaces (may need pre-wetting for best results) and also expands as it sets, so will fill gaps. I think that PVA tends to shrink as it dries? I've not tried Gorilla , but the two factors above may make it worth trying where they would be helpful in a particular situation.

I know from using the cans of expanding polyurethane foam for filling gaps in buildings that that stuff really does stick, most especially to clothes!

B
Old 21st Oct 2014, 10:47 pm   #3
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

From what I've read it's OK for rough carpentry work but not for cabinet-making. I've never tried it as I've always been satisfied with the same adhesives as Paul lists, which are also cheaper. I'd certainly be interested to hear of anybody's first-hand experiences with it.

- Joe
Old 21st Oct 2014, 10:58 pm   #4
MrElectronicman
Heptode

I have tried Gorilla polyurethane glue and am not very impressed.

As noted above, it works better if the surfaces are dampened before use, does expand to fill small gaps, and it's very much like the foam used for weather stripping applications.

But, it is not as strong as something like Elmer's Carpenters glue, and it is difficult to remove the excess once it dries
Old 21st Oct 2014, 11:03 pm   #5
ronbryan
Octode

It expands and forces its way into the wood and forms a good bond, but tends to foam outside the joint as the glue cures. Removal of surplus before it sets is best, but this can be awkward if a clamp is in the way. The normal method of application is to moisten one surface and put glue on the other.

If you don't wear gloves it makes your fingers black.

You have to expel air from the bottle once it is opened and the shelf life is not that long compared to PVA.

Ron
Old 21st Oct 2014, 11:27 pm   #6
Swordfamile
Tetrode

Gorilla glue is basically a very strong PVA glue with some water resistant properties, which the the standard PVA glue you refer to doesn't. This doesn't necessarily lend it to the purpose for which, I imagine, you intend it, but I can attest to its superior strength. It also turns your skin black when it dries, but does wash off.
Old 21st Oct 2014, 11:43 pm   #7
Swordfamile
Tetrode

There's been a few replies since I responded to the the initial posts and would like to add that it's not for rough work, it's a cabinet making glue, for which it is ideal, and you don't wet any surfaces prior to application. As with all glues you're supposed to remove the excess during clamping and is nothing like the foam used for weather stripping but can't compare it to Elmer Fudd's glue as I haven't used it but imagine it is very similar.
Old 21st Oct 2014, 11:59 pm   #8
ronbryan
Octode

I suspect that there are several glues with the brand 'Gorilla' and this has caused confusion. The one I was referring to is a polyurethane glue, not PVA. I believe they also make a cyanoacrylate glue branded Gorilla.

Ron
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 12:42 am   #9
paulsherwin

Yes, the brand is used for a number of different adhesives. I was asking specifically about polyurethane glue, though I imagine there are many formulations even within that category.

Is 'No More Nails' a polyurethane glue? I'd always thought it was some sort of contact adhesive.
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 7:10 am   #10
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I've used Gorilla glue quite a lot, and would say that it's excellent for cabinet construction (it's a favourite of speaker builders), but not so good for restoration, as it does show a significant glue line, and can't easily be stained. It's very strong when used sensibly, but obviously weaker when asked to bridge large gaps. I's also water resistant - I re-fitted an agitator bar to a washing machine drum with it quite successfully.
It is indeed very tenacious on skin - I think it's actually accumulated dirt which makes it black - and takes several days to wear off.
No More Nails and the like seem to be a sort of thick PVA, and work well in their intended applications, but I'd only use them for cabinet work in an emergency.
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 9:53 am   #11
Swordfamile
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan View Post
I suspect that there are several glues with the brand 'Gorilla' and this has caused confusion. The one I was referring to is a polyurethane glue, not PVA. I believe they also make a cyanoacrylate glue branded Gorilla.
My apologies, didn't read the OP properly. I've only used the PVA which, from what I've read online, appears to be more suited to woodwork, whereas the Polyurethene is more suited to bonding other (more difficult: e.g. oily) materials where a longer curing period is required.
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 3:22 pm   #12
kalee20
Dekatron

I used a bottle of Gorilla Glue a year ago (£5 cost roughly) to glue together an office desk - veneered chipboard with a square section tubular steel frame that the original fixings had all pulled out of..

I had to do it in 3 sessions because of clamping practicalities, but it's done a good job.

Removing excess glue as it swells was a bit of a challenge, and yes it sticks well to skin. So the final job wouldn't have satisfied Chippendale, but it's serviceable.
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 5:50 pm   #13
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

My impression of American-made DIY products in general is that they have survive in a really competitive market and the ones that do tend to be good. There was some enthusiastic mention of JB-Weld epoxy adhesive in another thread recently, and although I've not yet used it, I've repeated heard very good reports of that. I certainly love American-made tools, and in the days when I used to go there regularly on business, a long session in the tools department in a Sears store was always high on my priorities list. I never came away empty-handed .

B
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 6:01 pm   #14
maninashed
Rest in Peace

I've used Gorilla polyurethane glue a lot, and I like it. It's very strong and fills gaps. However, like all products we use, use it sparingly, and don't let it flow or expand all over your workpieces. Don't get it on your hands, it's sticks like anything, and it's hard to get it off! Slightly dampen one surface before clamping. I recommend it.
Bill
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 8:03 pm   #15
fetteler
Octode

Me too!

Steve.
Old 22nd Oct 2014, 8:27 pm   #16
paulsherwin

OK, thanks for all responses. The consensus seems to be that it's good stuff for assembling and repairing furniture and for general DIY, but doesn't have many applications in the old radio world. I now know a lot more than I did before.

Thanks again everyone.
Closed Thread