UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Oct 2014, 12:26 pm   #1
SurreyNick
Heptode

Default Simple curve plotter for directly heated triodes

I am pretty sure I have got the circuit right for this simple curve plotter for directly heated triodes but I would appreciate if someone would just cast their eyes over it before I wire it up. I don't want to risk damage to one of the meters.

The intention is to apply a maximum 200v HT and +/- 50v GB and employ pots with meters to adjust the voltage accurately and then read off the anode current (mA) to plot the characteristic curves.

Thanks
Nick
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Circuit Diagram - Triode Curve Plotter.pdf (195.0 KB, 611 views)
Old 19th Oct 2014, 1:03 pm   #2
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: Simple curve plotter for directly heated triodes

The Grid circuit looks OK but you probably only need a negative supply of up to 20 to 30V. I wouldn't use the pot across the HT supply for the anode as the anode voltage will drop as the current increases. The pot would also be dissipating 4W with a 200V supply.

You need a low impedance source for the anode voltage. Have a look at the Sussex Valve tester circuit where the anode voltage supply uses a FET whose gate voltage is controlled by a series of fixed resistors giving predefined voltages.

I've plotted the characteristics of a triode using a variable HT supply for the anode and a variable low voltage supply for the grid. Takes a little time but fairly easy to do.

Keith
Old 19th Oct 2014, 5:30 pm   #3
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Hi Nick,

You need to have a load in your anode circuit.

Also, yes, take note of the the previous comments about HT supply regulation.

And you've done a slightly odd thing there as you have placed the full R of your variable resistor right across your battery power supply, drawing a fixed current even on standby.

Cheers,
Old 19th Oct 2014, 5:58 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

I do not know of the power supply, but may I suggest one or two fuses in series just in case the valve has an internal s/c
Old 25th Oct 2014, 11:26 pm   #5
SurreyNick
Heptode

Hi. Thanks for the feedback on the circuit and my apologies for not acknowledging them sooner. It's been a tough week and my attention has been elsewhere. I will make the suggested adaptations.
Nick
Old 25th Oct 2014, 11:33 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

It'll work - the points mentioned by previous posters are valid improvements - but you need to be careful when using it.

As shown, it's quite possible to apply full HT and zero bias, just by twiddling the controls. You can easily exceed maximum anode current and dissipation by doing so, which will not do your valve any good. While valves are by no means as fragile as transistors, at the higher currents I'd suggest you have a switch in the HT supply. Set the bias, switch on the HT, take the current reading and HT voltage, and switch off again - half a second only of high current.
Old 26th Oct 2014, 2:15 pm   #7
SurreyNick
Heptode

Will do. Thanks kalee20.
Nick
Closed Thread