UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Apr 2010, 10:21 am   #21
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Philips Hi-Z record player

I would have thought the average wage in '57/'58 was nearer £10 than £5-even so that 49guinea price is about £2000 of today's money(AND a diamond stylus was extra!)so, as you say, probably very few sold. I've never seen one, that's for sure.
Old 14th Apr 2010, 6:42 pm   #22
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

I'm stunned. It cost me £15. It really does sound very good when it works. Alas I know zilch about electronics (caps?) but I can spot a loose wire and solder it back. I don't think I have a suitable tester but I can borrow or buy one. I'm really grateful for the offer to guide me through the repair. I'll give it a go. Thanks as well for identifying it for me and the photos. I'm dead impressed by the whole experience. Let's hope those aren't famous last words before I fry myself messing with caps! ;o)
Old 14th Apr 2010, 7:26 pm   #23
Michael Maurice

You wont fry yourself. Obviously make sure the power is off and the mains unplugged before attempting repairs.

You really do need a testmeter, they are reasonably cheap nowadays, you can get them for £20 - £30 from places like Maplins.

If you really feel that you are out of your depth, then please let us know and hopefully another member who is local will lend a hand.
Old 14th Apr 2010, 8:13 pm   #24
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

Even better. Let's how I get on first. I was kidding about frying by the way. I'm guessing caps are capacitors but that's a far as my expertise goes.
Old 14th Apr 2010, 8:17 pm   #25
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

Regarding '57 wages: there big celebrations when my uncle left the shop floor to join management on £1,000 a year!
Old 17th Apr 2010, 10:40 pm   #26
Audio1950
Dekatron

A word of encouragement - keep at it, I had one of these till quite recently, and only gave it away because of the cartridge problem. But before the cartridge packed up, it was one of the most impressive record players I've ever heard. (and of course, it has my favourite changer in it!)

Barry
Old 18th Apr 2010, 5:13 pm   #27
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that, Barry. I will get it going I'm sure. I hadn't heard any 50s 'hi-fi's before but it sounded surprisingly rich and powerful. Glad to hear I'm not deluded.

Thinking back I'd noticed that bass knob didn't seem to doing the bizz for some time. Now it turns down the volume as it supposedly increases the bass, so I think that may be a likely suspect. I'm guessing that's a dud 'cap'? But once I've got use of a testmeter I'm hoping for guidance to check out all the electronics to pinpoint the fault or faults.
Old 19th Apr 2010, 1:03 am   #28
KeithEllis
Retired Dormant Member

Barry, I can't believe you had one of these and then let it go. I'd love to get my hands on one! Surely a suitable cartridge would have turned up eventually. When I bought my Philips 10 watt Novosonic equipment for a fiver a few years back it didn't have a headshell. Of course I could have replaced the deck, but then it wouldn't have been original. Disc Jockeys etc are always turning up though and it wasn't long before I'd accumulated several tilting cartridges, admittedly not the earlier type, but instead the longer, narrower ones (which I think look better than the earlier type anyway).

And Roxarama, I'd certainly reiterate what Barry has said about sticking with it. Something like this deserves to be put back into action.

Anyway, good luck, and let us know how you get on.
Keith
Old 19th Apr 2010, 9:28 am   #29
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

Yes I will get it going again especially now I feel confident of such expert support. I suppose if I hadn't been able to hear it action I wouldn't have known how good it sounds and would probably have put it back into an auction 'as found' and hope the next buyer would be able to fix it.
Old 19th Apr 2010, 11:21 am   #30
Audio1950
Dekatron

Quote:
Barry, I can't believe you had one of these and then let it go. I'd love to get my hands on one!
At the time, I had about eighty record players and twelve radiograms. As I was moving to a smaller property, most of it had to go. It has to be said, though, that superb as this machine was, sound-wise, I thought it was an ugly brute!
Barry

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 19th Apr 2010 at 12:24 pm. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 19th Apr 2010, 4:29 pm   #31
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Having looked at your pictures the valve on the far left is "wonky".Is it seated ok?Could it be that its not making contact properly?Hope it turns out that simple.Andy
Old 20th Apr 2010, 2:26 am   #32
KeithEllis
Retired Dormant Member

Point taken Barry... that's a large collection by any standards.

Funny how the best sounding machines aren't always that pleasing on the eye. When I first saw this thread I excitedly called my wife over to have a look, explaining how I'd love one in my own collection. As she walked away, a look of disgust attached to her face, she said words to the effect of, 'Why do you always go for the ugliest, tattiest junk imaginable?' I didn't have the heart to reply!

Keith
Old 21st Apr 2010, 8:37 am   #33
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

A friend has lent me a testmeter - a Beckman Industrial DM78. If that's up to the job then I await further instructions. The wonky valve seems firmly fixed. I probably nudged it taking the back off. Who cares what it looks like?
Old 21st Apr 2010, 9:20 am   #34
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxarama View Post
Who cares what it looks like?
If it's leaning over some of its pins may not be making contact with the socket
Alan
Old 21st Apr 2010, 10:12 am   #35
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

Sorry Alan - I was referring to the bodywork because another respondent's missus was unimpressed by the player's looks. I wouldn't dream of disputing electronics as I'm a complete dunce on the subject. I will double-check the valve. If it works I owe you a pint!
Old 21st Apr 2010, 10:36 am   #36
ben
Dekatron

Before investing too much, check the auto sequence and speed etc. works well. I still have nightmares about trying to repair these - a truly awful mechanism.
I have a scrap one somewhere which I could raid for bits but I'd be tempted just to ditch the philips deck and stick in a BSR UA8 or similar as a 'period modification' - cheaper, easier to fix and you can use any cart. sacrilege to some so I'll duck now!
Old 21st Apr 2010, 7:42 pm   #37
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

Ben - all that works fine. All it's missing in the plastic thing for 45s with big centre holes, for which there's a clip in the lid - a trifle which I don't need anyway and I expect one will turn up.
Old 21st Apr 2010, 7:48 pm   #38
Audio1950
Dekatron

If you do want the original Philips 45rpm adaptor for this machine, I've got one you can have.

Barry
Old 21st Apr 2010, 8:43 pm   #39
roxarama
Retired Dormant Member

If you really don't mind that would be great.
Old 21st Apr 2010, 9:04 pm   #40
Audio1950
Dekatron

No problem - pm sent.

Barry
Closed Thread