UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2013, 12:03 pm   #1
rovernut
Pentode

Default Oscilloscope Advice

Hi

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes...

My Gould DS630 100MHz (4 Channel Digital Storage) Scope has died, it has been on the blink for some time but as there is no available manual for it I stand little chance of repairing it. So I have decided to get a new scope.
I have been looking at the following three

Siglent SDS1102CNL 7'' 100M 1GSa/s 32Kpts Digital Storage Oscilloscope (£200)

OWON SDS7102-V Digital Storage Oscilloscope 1G/s 100Mhz 8" LCD (£265)

ATTEN ADS1102CAL 100M Hz 1G Digital Oscilloscope 7" LCD (£235)

Has anyone here got one of these and what do they think of them.

Generally I restore valve transceivers all modes from 1.6 – 50MHz. Two channels is probably what I need as never used the four channels available on the DS630

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Richard
Old 20th Nov 2013, 1:04 pm   #2
WME_bill
Octode

Default Re: Oscilloscope Advice

In view of your experience with manual availability, perhaps it would be sensible to choose a machine for which the service manual is available (generally major UK or US or Hameg). I am not aware of service manuals for any of those models you quote. Perhaps that is why they are now being offered for sale.
Have you got to use digital storage models. For your application, a more traditional scope may be equally suitable, and there is a lot less to go wrong on an analogue scope. Certainly repairs are much easier as it is likely to be a particular component, whereas digital usually requires complete board replacement. wme_bill
Old 20th Nov 2013, 1:15 pm   #3
maninashed
Rest in Peace

Richard, a question, why do you need a digital storage scope for repairing valve equipment?
A far more suitable scope for your needs would be something like a Tektronix 453 or 465, 50meg/100meg respectively. Quality gear, excellent display very functional with plenty of knobs and no silly sub menus so you know exactly where you are. A lot cheaper too!
Bill
Old 20th Nov 2013, 3:41 pm   #4
rovernut
Pentode

Thanks for the responses

I probably don't need a digital storage scope. One thing that did attract these to me was the size (neat and compact). I agree that a Tektronix 453/465 would also suit my needs, the main problem here is to find a good one, I will only buy if I can inspect and see the item working as described. I will let you know what I end up with.

Thanks
Richard
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 6:47 pm   #5
zooterman
Retired Dormant Member

I suggest you contact Telford Electronics they gave me a good deal on a Textronix scope at a very reasonable price, came complete with manual.
They have a website. I have no connection with them at all.
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 9:17 pm   #6
flyingtech55
Octode

Or Stewart of Reading.

Again no connection etc......

TimR
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 9:40 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

I've dealt with both Stewart of Reading and Telford Electronics and have been pleased with the results. They both have good reputations for fair and accurate descriptions.

David