UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2008, 6:19 pm   #1
yestertech
Nonode

Default Re: se el34 amp

Probably about 3-4 watts - It's nothing special ( no feedback ! ) Andy
Old 15th Jun 2008, 8:36 pm   #2
Aub
Nonode

Hi,

If it's an EL84, not a EL34, then two of them would require about 100mA from the HT supply and then a couple of amps from the 6.3v heater supply.

Cheers

Aub
Old 16th Jun 2008, 11:57 am   #3
love kt3
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,100k for ef 86 cathode-isnt that much to high?
Old 16th Jun 2008, 4:00 pm   #4
quantum
Retired Dormant Member

Yes, if it is 100k - it is difficult to tell from the image. I'd reckon 2.2k or 3.3k would be adequate for a triode connected EF86, but I don't think this circuit is particularly special anyway. By using the EF86 is pentode mode you'd get more gain to enable some negative feedback to improve response.
Old 16th Jun 2008, 5:29 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Or you could use the same valves in the amplifier circuit of the Mullard 3-3 which would probably give better results and is interesting too!
Old 16th Jun 2008, 7:09 pm   #6
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Looking at the schematic carefully, I'd say that the EF86 Cathode resistor is 100R, not 100K, though the former value may be too low.
Old 16th Jun 2008, 7:33 pm   #7
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

I'm not convinced about the design of this amp. Apart from the 100K cathode resistor the volume control is used as the grid bias resistor. This is poor practice and tends to give scatchy control with anything less than an absolutely perfect pot.
Old 16th Jun 2008, 9:04 pm   #8
Dickie
Octode

Are there any advantages in running an EF86 in "triode" mode , as opposed to a proper triode (ECC83)?
I might be a traditionalist, but any circuit drawn with valves on their side ( apart from those in push-pull, of course) can't possibly work very well

Richard, BVWS member
Old 17th Jun 2008, 10:18 am   #9
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Single ended EL34 amplifier.

Am I missing something?

Instead of using a pentode in triode mode, why not use something like an ECL82 which contains both a triode and a power pentode in one package?
Old 17th Jun 2008, 12:49 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
Are there any advantages in running an EF86 in "triode" mode , as opposed to a proper triode (ECC83)?
I might be a traditionalist, but any circuit drawn with valves on their side ( apart from those in push-pull, of course) can't possibly work very well
Ultimately, a triode is a lower noise device than a pentode, but it's unlikely to be relevant here. Presumably the increased gain of the pentode connection wasn't required either. Maybe the valves just happened to be the cheapest combination (if the design was for commercial manufacture) or just what the designer had available.

Chris
Closed Thread