UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jul 2017, 7:48 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default SCART to Digital RF

Hi
Can you still get tv's with an analogue tuner?
I think we need to change the TV upstairs, as it is an old crt one.
We currently feed a RF signal upstairs via an aerial cable from the virgin tivo box via a scart to RF converter.
Or alternatively are there any decent low cost scart to RF digital converters around on the market.

Is there another way that you can think of.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10th Jul 2017, 8:12 am   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Scart to Digital RF

The Celcus TV we bought from Sainsbury's last year still has analogue tuning options in its set-up menu, but I haven't tried using it
Old 10th Jul 2017, 8:47 am   #3
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

My Bush LED19134hddvd from Argos has analogue tuning too.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 9:19 am   #4
Scimitar
Heptode

Digital RF modulators are around. We sell a few. There is also a digital HD modulator available. However, they are all HDMI input, so you would have to convert CVBS to HDMI before putting it into the modulator.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 9:30 am   #5
JacKam_
Pentode

Scart to digital RF is expensive.

Analogue video needs to be digitized, then encoded to MPEG.
Data tables informing the receiving system about the network and available programmes have to be added. They are called NIT, PAT, PMT and SDT.
Everything needs to be packetized to get 188 bytes long packets. this is called a transport stream, which goes to a modulator, which adds error correction bytes.

I am not sure if there are cheap solutions on the market to encode at "real time", but you can play a transport stream from your computer to Dectec, then use DVB modulator to get RF.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 10:25 am   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Surely, even televisions without an analogue tuner have a SCART input don't they - or is it now assumed that all external sources (such as PVRs and DVDs) now provide HDMI?
Old 10th Jul 2017, 10:36 am   #7
crackle
Rest in Peace

I had ruled out a direct Scart connection as I dont think it will work very well on a long cable running up the outside of the house.
So it looks like TV's are still available with analogue tuners.
Thanks
Mike
Old 10th Jul 2017, 11:39 am   #8
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I was thinking more of a tuner at the far end demodulating the distributed RF.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 12:14 pm   #9
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
I was thinking more of a tuner at the far end demodulating the distributed RF.
An old VHS machine would do that, not a very elegant solution in 2017 though.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 6:21 pm   #10
Mooly
Octode

Quote:
Surely, even televisions without an analogue tuner have a SCART input don't they - or is it now assumed that all external sources (such as PVRs and DVDs) now provide HDMI?
I was surprised at that when shopping for a new TV last year. SCART is now classed as 'legacy' apparently... LEGACY, your kidding me right geez, I must be getting old
Old 10th Jul 2017, 6:23 pm   #11
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Surely, even televisions without an analogue tuner have a SCART input don't they...?
Nope.

I bought the TV I bought last year not because I needed a TV, but because it looked like it was going to be my last chance to buy a new TV with all the 'traditional' inputs in addition to HDMI.

The high end manufacturers had already all but dumped SCART from their sets, leaving only the middle to low end sets still offering SCART, and in most cases only one socket.

In my case I particularly needed standard definition RGB input via SCART, and also a PC-analogue (15 way sub-D) input - they are disappearing rapidly as well.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 6:40 pm   #12
winston_1
Hexode

Default Re: SCART to Digital RF

Virtually all TVs sold still have analogue available. It is not splashed on the boxes anymore though. What is more it is often multistandard analogue. PAL/Secam systems BG, I, DK and sometimes L and M. Nicam, Zweiton, and teletext are usually there as well plus full band tuning from 48 to 860MHz.
Old 10th Jul 2017, 8:07 pm   #13

I suppose they may as well have the analogue TV built in, saves modifying the software for the DSP chip. And as a few areas still have analogue may as well make it universal. Just before analogue shutdown here in the UK I tried my telly on it, worked quite well, the picture was a lot better than any 'real' analogue set gave.

Old 10th Jul 2017, 9:38 pm   #14
kan_turk
Hexode

Exactly correct - virtually all TVs can handle analogue RF input - sometimes hidden behind menu tree - it would cost more to remove it and quite a few territories still have analogue or hybrid analogue/digital cable systems even though over the air services have long since migrated to digital.

A word of warning however - analogue performance of current TVs varies greatly between models with some being distinctly mediocre.

DTT RF modulators , both HD and SD, are readily available - at a price
HD models are generally single channel with HDMI input but SD models are a available with either 1, 2 or 4 composite inputs multiplexed onto a single 8MHz channel.

Hope this helps

Rgds to all
John
Old 11th Jul 2017, 6:57 am   #15
crackle
Rest in Peace

Thanks for your replies.
Mike
Old 11th Jul 2017, 6:43 pm   #16
chriswood1900
Octode

I have bought many HD 'digital' flat screen TVs for home and family and everyone so far up to last year has still had an Analogue tuner in it. I still distribute around my home the digital box via RF that I put in 25yrs ago successfully. I have not tried one of the latest 4K UHD sets others may be able to comment on them but you should be OK. A quick look at the spec at Richer sounds shows quite a few new sets with Analogue still available.
Chris
Old 11th Jul 2017, 11:12 pm   #17
Clydeuk
Hexode

A lot of hotels still distribute channels in analogue. I've yet to see a modern TV that didn't have an analogue tuner.

The PC VGA connection has been fading for a long time now. New PC's usually have an HDMI or Displayport connector. DVI connectors are becoming obsolete though they use the same standard as HDMI so are easily converted.
Closed Thread