UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Dec 2009, 8:50 pm   #1
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Vat/Import duty on components from Canada?

Not quite sure if htis is the right section of the forum in which to post this, but here goes:

I know that several forum members use "Just Radios" of Canada to buy such things as 1 Watt/2 Watt metal film resistors for restoration work. I favour these resistors, as physically they're about the same size as pre-war/post-war 1/2 Watt and 1 Watt carbon composition resistors in common use back then.

IMHO, puny modern resistors - even if they're up to the task, as they will be in many instances, just look offensive to the eye!

Just Radios do packs (for example 20 each of the most popular values for restoration work) which seem reasonably priced and are post free. Otherwise, for smaller quantities they sell in packs of five, with a minimum order of $15 US + P&P.

My question is really addressed to forum members who have used this firm (or any other overseas supplier for that matter), namely: Do these packages "creep under the radar" of HM Customs and Revenue unnoticed, or do they end up at the post office with a demand for duty (VAT etc)?

I ask this question because I know of people who have imported kits for amateur radio transceivers from the USA and have been seriously hit in the pocket, with duty and admin costs etc. (I've bought a few small items from the US, China etc (PCBs, digital meter modules) without any hassle).

It's a huge help that the BVWS now supplies popular values of HV caps and smoothers, (though unless at swapmeets, only in lots of 50, which is way over the top for my requirments). But no resistors or pots, as yet!

I'd much rather deal with small UK based firms, but since Dave Roberts ceased trading, I don't think anyone has quite stepped into the breach, unless I'm mistaken. Maplin are ok for a few items, but I think that RS, Farnell etc, don't deal in penny numbers, and prefer account holders only.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

David,
G4EBT
Old 31st Dec 2009, 9:08 pm   #2
avro
Heptode

Default Re: Vat/Import duty on components from Canada?

Not sure, I have been stationed abroad when I ordered from Canada so I didn't pay any duty although occasionally I got nabbed unjustly nabbed for VAT. My thought would be that if you ordered an item(s) for less than £30 you would be OK.

BVWS member
Old 31st Dec 2009, 9:11 pm   #3
Station X

Here's the official line:-

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...yType=document

It tends to be pot luck whether you get charged or not. It also depends on what is written on the customs declaration attached to the package

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 31st Dec 2009, 9:21 pm   #4
Patrick Dixon
Hexode

If they are marked on the customs declaration as more than £18 in value (£36 if also declared as a Gift) then the chances are you will be hit for 17.5% VAT plus a processing fee. The processing fee varies depending on the carrier and the service chosen, but will be between £8 and £15 on top.

So, much depends on the sender, and most US senders are now so law-abiding that they are completely unable to declare anything other than the full value. I think they are all worried about a knock on the door at dawn from the Feds!

If you buy goods from the far east, the sender usually declares them at minimal value, and as a gift, as a matter of routine. Different culture I guess.
Old 31st Dec 2009, 9:23 pm   #5
Boom
Retired Dormant Member

I send an external hard drive back under warranty yesterday to the US and was asked to fill in a customs export/import form by Western Digital warning me that there might be a customs charge for a replacement even under warranty. I'll cross that bridge when/if I come to it but it doesn't sound right to me. £70 for the drive then £9 to send it back plus customs? They can keep it if they ask for any more money and I'll know not to touch a WD drive again.

Dave
Old 31st Dec 2009, 9:39 pm   #6
Paul LS
Retired Dormant Member

I bought a bunch of capacitors from Just Radio.. total came to over £70 and I did not pay any duty. Maybe I was just lucky. I will be buying some more stuff shortly so I will find out

I also buy the 2W and 3W resistors from Radio Spares... they dont mind low value orders but you have to pay £5 postage so best to do a large order.

Paul.
Old 31st Dec 2009, 9:41 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul LS View Post
I... they dont mind low value orders .....
Paul.
They won't accept orders under $15 (£9.50).

I've placed several orders during the year with Justradios in Canada and haven't yet been charged VAT or duty. My orders have varied in value between $15 and $23 (£9.50 - £15.00) so I've avoided taxes. I get a lot of parts for that amount though and even with the $7.90 (£5) P&P on top they're very good value and I get exactly what I need.

Howard

Last edited by howard; 31st Dec 2009 at 9:46 pm.
Old 31st Dec 2009, 10:29 pm   #8
Framer Dave
Rest in Peace

I have, in the last three years, bought two Auroras. On the first one I paid about £36.00 duty, VAT etc., on the second £0.00.

I wish they'd get their act together!

Dave
Old 31st Dec 2009, 11:06 pm   #9
evingar
Octode

I got clobbered on my Aurora
It does indeed seem to be pot luck on small parcels. I've noticed though that if you buy more than once from a US source, you seem to always get caught the 2nd time !
Old 31st Dec 2009, 11:27 pm   #10
murphyv310
Dekatron

Hi.
I was always told that you would pay the VAT or Customs charge on what you were buying.
A kit for instance would not be eligable for charges but finished goods were.
I thought that if the aurora was sent out as a kit with the board not fitted into the case, and say the power in socket not soldered in, the Aurora could be classed as a kit and then the charges would not be levied.
I order from Justradios and so far have been ok, although my aunt stays walking distance from them so I may have to ask her to bring them next time she come over.
Cheers
Trevor
Old 31st Dec 2009, 11:34 pm   #11
avro
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
So, much depends on the sender, and most US senders are now so law-abiding that they are completely unable to declare anything other than the full value. I think they are all worried about a knock on the door at dawn from the Feds!
Canadians aren't Americans, mind you I wouldn't want a Mountie knocking on my door either.

BVWS member
Old 1st Jan 2010, 3:32 am   #12
MichaelR
Retired Dormant Member

One needs to ask the question why avoid VAT payment , it is the law.There are UK businesses that have to cope with unfair trading beciause they have to pay VAT and import duty.Nothing is manufactured in this country anymore

If you realy want to support UK businesses then support them
Old 1st Jan 2010, 4:28 am   #13
Hermit6345
Rest in Peace

I have had three or four shipments from JustRadio and always (so far) the box has been delivered to my door nothing else to pay. The components seem to be very high quality and a sensible price. My purchases have been up in the $60-$70 area. In fact I received a resistor kit only yesterday, so now I have the chore of putting them into their correct drawers!

Ian.
Old 1st Jan 2010, 9:31 am   #14
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post
One needs to ask the question why avoid VAT payment , it is the law.There are UK businesses that have to cope with unfair trading because they have to pay VAT and import duty.Nothing is manufactured in this country anymore

If you realy want to support UK businesses then support them
Thnaks guys, for all the helpful response and personal experiences on this issue.

As to Britains manufacturing base, to say "nothing is manufactured in the country any more simply isn't so". At risk of going off topic, we make more cars in the UK now than in the strike-bound 1970s "Red Robbo era" thanks to the Japanese, French and Germans.

I don't suppose that the components sold by Just Radios are made in Canada either, but it seems that an enterprising couple with a genuine interest in serving the small vintage radio community is making a go of it.

Nothing to stop a small enterprising business in the UK doing likewise.

In the UK, until a year or so ago, Pete Roberts provided an excellent service along similar lines, but ceased trading. I'd rather deal with a small firm like Just Radios than with Farnell or RTS, which are really geared to trade customers.

It isn't the VAT that's the issue, it's the swinging admin costs, which I think the Post Office charges.

The bottom line is simply whether or not it makes economic sense to source from abroad. If theres' a small UK firm who provide a similar service to Just Radios, I'd prefer to use it, so any comments on that would be welcome.

Regards, and a Happy New Year to all!

David,
G4EBT
Old 1st Jan 2010, 9:56 am   #15
evingar
Octode

[QUOTE=David G4EBT;295868]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR View Post

It isn't the VAT that's the issue, it's the swinging admin costs, which I think the Post Office charges.

G4EBT
Exactly !

The combined sums levied are completely out of proportionate to the purchase price for small private purchases. The threshold needs to be way higher - something like £100. The way it is just makes most people feel they are being ripped off !
Old 1st Jan 2010, 12:03 pm   #16
Brian R Pateman
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G4EBT View Post
Not quite sure if this is the right section of the forum in which to post this................
As you surmised David this isn't the right section for this sort of topic.

After some discussion by the moderating team we have come to the conclusion that this isn't an appropriate discussion for the forum at all.

So I'll close the thread before we get a visit from the revenue!!

Regards,