UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Jan 2015, 6:19 pm   #21
mister valve
Hexode

Default Re: Cossor Melodymaker 500

I see you have wisely changed the 'interstage' audio coupling Capacitor (Condenser). I would, however, change all the other Paper 'waxies' too !
In my experience, All the paper 'waxies' will be electrically leaky to some degree, and whilst the may still perform well now, you will almost certainly get trouble as time marches on. The 'Mica' Capacitors rarely give any problem so you can largely forget about them - although they can sometimes change value slightly.

John.
Old 1st Feb 2015, 6:55 pm   #22
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Cossor Melodymaker 500

I agree. I've never understood the preoccupation with 'that capacitor' when there are half a dozen or more similarly duff wax caps that need changing too. Yep, a leaky 'that cap' can potentially do more damage, but on the other hand, what's the use of a set that struggles on at say 70% of its potential performance level, just so that more components are left 'original'? More often than not, it's wise to replace all waxed paper caps and be done. Whenever I get a set with wax caps in it - which is most sets of the vintage era - one of the first things I do is replace them, no messing, get rid of them, take them out of the equation.