UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jan 2015, 3:46 am   #1
thebundychick
Retired Dormant Member

Default Vintage Breville Teasmade 860D (Australia)

Hi all,

Newbie here - hoping to get some advice on this fancy gadget my mother bought home from a local market yesterday.

Its the Vintage Breville Teasmade 860D. I know its the Australian model but I understand they are very similar to the UK units, and I'm hoping there will be someone savvy enough to assist me:

Basically - the unit is in VERY good condition. Looks brand new. BUT

The "Auto" button is stuck in the ON position, meaning that the unit only works using the preset timer. Which is fine, but the only way to turn it off is to get up and switch it off at the wall. The remaining buttons "Clock only" "Light only" and "Tea now" will not depress properly, but if you try to depress them the light comes on and the alarm activates.

The clock function and alarm all work as they should but we can't disengage the "Auto" button. Any ideas what could be causing it? I'm not to keen on doing open heart surgery on it yet until I have some sort of idea of what I'm looking for.

Cheers all
Old 28th Jan 2015, 9:07 am   #2
trsomian
Hexode

Default Re: Vintage Breville Teasmade 860D (Australia)

Is this like the British model with four "piano keys" at the front towards the left side. If it is, I suggest you turn it upside down and take the bottom off, 4 or 5 screws, This will give access to the underside of the switches, where you may be able to see the problem. On ours, one key is effectively the release key for the others, and from what I remember has no contacts of its own
Old 28th Jan 2015, 3:34 pm   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

Agreed. There isn't anything very complex in a Teasmade.

When the clock contacts close, mains power is sent to the "common" contact of a change-over switch operated by the platform on which the kettle sits. The kettle spout is extended down inside the body of the kettle, and stops about a centimetre or so shy of the bottom. While the kettle still has water in it, power goes to the heating element. As the water boils, steam pressure builds up and forces hot water up the spout into the teapot. When the kettle is empty, it rocks back; the switch changes over, and sends power to the buzzer and light instead.

It sounds as though your Teasmade just has a simple mechanical fault with the switch bank; possibly a broken actuator lever or a trapped foreign body. It's quite safe to open up while it is unplugged; there is nothing that will store a charge and give you a nasty surprise. If in doubt, post pictures, and somebody will chime in with an answer.
Old 29th Jan 2015, 2:42 am   #4
thebundychick
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsomian View Post
Is this like the British model with four "piano keys" at the front towards the left side.
Yep, thats the one! I figured as much - that one key becomes the release of another - and at the moment because the auto button is "stuck down" none of the others will release.

Thanks Gents,

Shall give it a shot tonight!
Old 29th Jan 2015, 1:05 pm   #5
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

It looks like a Goblin 860 in which case the above posts are all correct. Tea been spilt down the switches so the latch bar is stuck.
Old 1st Feb 2015, 9:36 am   #6
thebundychick
Retired Dormant Member

OK - I know what the problem is, unsure how to post a pic on this forum but basically - the two springs under the "Auto" and "Tea Now" are missing. There are springs under the "Light" and "Clock Only" buttons. So when we took the cover off, using the screw driver we manually put the Auto button back into place, and were then able to operate the Light & Clock Only buttons with no issues, however as soon as we hit Auto or Tea Now, all buttons locked up again. The machine is supposed to be new and never used, however I think we now know why it was never used..... springs are completely absent, not rattling around in the compartment at all.

A very simple fix! I just need two tiny little springs! Anyone know what size they are?
Old 2nd Feb 2015, 8:45 am   #7
trsomian
Hexode

Well done for finding the fault. I don't know what size the springs are, but are they not the same as the two under the two keys that have them? I can't believe the spring characteristics are at all critical.
Old 3rd Feb 2015, 11:48 am   #8
PsychMan
Octode

Spring selections can be bought very cheaply on ebay, and have on a few occasions proved well worth the money
Old 8th Feb 2015, 10:35 pm   #9
thebundychick
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the advice on where to buy Psychman - as it turns out - they're not as easily accessible as one would think!

We visited three hardware stores on Saturday, in the end we had to settle for a spring that was too long and slightly larger guage.

We ended up cutting the new spring in half and using both halves to replace two missing sections. Of course. We lost one of them in the process - it got prematurely released from its compressed state and flew off somewhere!!

What we have now is a teasmade with three out of four buttons working (the most important ones of course), and very happy parents

Will jump on ebay and have a look around to see if we can get it working properly.

Uncompressed spring measurements are 15mm x 3mm

Thanks again all ~
Old 9th Feb 2015, 11:20 am   #10
richrussell
Heptode

You might find the spring from a ballpoint pen can be trimmed to fit, should the one that escaped not turn up
Old 9th Feb 2015, 10:31 pm   #11
thebundychick
Retired Dormant Member

What a fantastic suggestion!! Thankyou
Closed Thread