UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 1st Oct 2015, 4:29 am   #1
Otari5050
Pentode

Default Philips SBX-6

Can anyone help me please with an installation/programming manual for this phone system?
Old 1st Oct 2015, 11:31 am   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Philips SBX-6

I've got the programming info on both the SBX6 and 12. I've also got the entire installation/programming manual on the SBX12 but when it comes to installation of the SBX6 - there isn't a lot to do other than connect the wires to the terminal block. I have an SBX6 connected to CNet (the Collectors Telephone Network that uses the old Subscriber Toll Dialling codes). My number is on 'Otaua' UAX13 exchange - (085 32) 889. As the SBX 6 accepts pulse dialling phones on the extensions but can be set to DTMF on the two exchange lines - it can be used to convert from my 'reverse' NZ rotary dials to work into devices which don't accept the reverse numbers. I've also got an SBX12 - the 5 + 12 version which cost me NZ$1.50 (at the time £0.37 in UK currency at the time!)
The numbering scheme on the SBX follows the pattern 89, 88, 87, .... and a 1 to access an outside line due to the reverse NZ dial!

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBX6 005.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	113681   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBX6-PABX.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	113682   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBX12-exterior.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	113683   Click image for larger version

Name:	SBX12-interior.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	113684  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SBX6 Programming Codes Draft Version.pdf (226.9 KB, 208 views)
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 4:26 am   #3
Otari5050
Pentode

Thanks Pellseinydd!

I have a stack of old rotary dial phones (including a white one as in your photo, and a red one and a heap of black ones of the same type) that I want to start restoring.
I have the option to purchase an SBX-6 but have held off pending getting the info for it.
The only thing is I don't think it comes with the special multi-plug breakout unit.
I may have to hunt one of them down.
Would you have a spare one or even just the plug, as I have plenty of Krone breakout panels.

I used to have an SBX-8 and a 12, many years ago. Had access to dozens of them. They were dumped at a scrap dealer's yard and I bought a few. Never used them then ended up selling them.

The SBX-6 was my natural choice as I know it responds to decadic dialling phones.

Are you an ex-pat Kiwi, or did you just get the phones from here?
Old 3rd Oct 2015, 11:16 am   #4
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otari5050 View Post
Would you have a spare one or even just the plug, as I have plenty of Krone breakout panels
Let me know if you get stuck. I know of a couple of clients who used to have SBX6s lying around - they may be long gone, but I can always ask if you can't find everything.

Also if you want a Panasonic 308 let me know, I have one out in the workshop I'd love to get rid of. Yours for the price of a courier ticket (or just the ticket itself!).
Old 4th Oct 2015, 2:48 am   #5
Otari5050
Pentode

Thanks Arjoll. I've just bought an SBX-6, so a Panasonic 308 might be surplus to requirements at the moment but if you could ask around for the plug/breakout box for the SBX-6 I'd appreciate it. Even if I end up with two, a spare is always useful.
At the moment I don't know where one will come from so any that can be found is a good thing!
Old 5th Oct 2015, 2:30 am   #6
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
but if you could ask around for the plug/breakout box for the SBX-6 I'd appreciate it.
Just made a call - sounds like the client I'm thinking of do still have their complete SBX-6 and SBX-8 and they're in a pile of stuff to be disposed of. I'll PM you with contact details.
Old 5th Oct 2015, 8:46 am   #7
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Thanks Pellseinydd!

I have a stack of old rotary dial phones that I want to start restoring.
I have the option to purchase an SBX-6 but have held off pending getting the info for it.
<SNIP>
The SBX-6 was my natural choice as I know it responds to decadic dialling phones.

Are you an ex-pat Kiwi, or did you just get the phones from here?
Nop! born & bred in UK. I administer CNet - the Collectors Telephone Network and got to know several collectors in NZ who connected to the network including MOTAT. PM me if you'd like to join us. Then your phones will work for real!

Incidentally the SBX 12 works with LD phones as well as does the whole of the Panasonic KXT/KXTEA/KXTD/KXTDA ranges. I've got a couple of SBX12s but only one setup - bought for peanuts on Trade Me about 8 years ago. Things were very cheap in those days as there were four NZ$ to our £ in those days - now two NZ$ per pound.
Old 6th Oct 2015, 2:17 am   #8
Otari5050
Pentode

Awesome.

The thing I noticed about the phone was the dial label with 'Otaua' on it. That's a typically NZ label and Otaua is a very NZ name!
I knew I'd heard of it so I Googled mapped it, turns out there are two areas with that name.
One near Auckland and one way up north. Do you know which area it came from?
I did consider the Panasonic systems but they're still fetching good money here. I wasn't prepared to spend upwards of $200 just for something to test phones with.

I'll PM you about the CNet.
Old 6th Oct 2015, 9:51 am   #9
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Otaua was an NZPO Unit Automatic Exchange No 13 (similar to the UAX13s that the GPO here in the UK used). It was 'parented' on Pukokohe which had the old STD code of 085 with Otaua being 32 off the exchange and another UAX13 (Glenbrook) off Pukokohe was on 33 and is the code on CNet used by the Glenbrook Vintage Railway just south of Auckland. The ivory 332 with the Otaua dial label is an ex NZPO one that was purchased off 'Trade Me' (the NZ equivalent of eBay, but only usable by those living in NZ) for the UK equivalent of £55 ! Sadly that was some years ago. Prices are a bit different now. Incidentally the dial label is a 'repro' based on originals I have.
Closed Thread