UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Sep 2017, 11:20 pm   #1
Oldcodger
Nonode

Default Modern soldering stations.

History- on another site, someone returning to electronics mentioned an Antex iron ( in effect it's a soldering station ), and I started looking around to find this: https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/48w-mains...-station-n67ef.

Closer look makes me think it's at very least Weller clone, with possibly spares that would fit a Weller at a lot less than genuine Weller prices.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 6:09 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Modern soldering stations.

They've gone for the same shape of handle as the Weller TCP1

The clues in the words make it look like there is no temperature regulation and some sort of open loop power adjustment like a triac dimmer in the base. It lists a wide range of temperature 'controllable by the wattage' and touts the ability to store heat in the tip.

The chances of any interchangeability with a Weller are close to zero, I'm afraid.

David
Old 24th Sep 2017, 9:39 am   #3
MrBungle
Dekatron

I’ve learned that there’s no such thing as a bargain soldering iron. Personally I’d go for an Antex XS25 over this and buy a genuine Weller TCP down the line. I bought a Weller WTCP 51 kit from Farnell about two years ago on a 5% off day and nothing compares to it.

I had a weller PS2/TCP kit between 1992 and 2003 but sold it when I dropped out of electronics for a few years. I spent from 2012-2015 using cruddy Chinese irons and hakko clones. Was a waste of time and money.

You could look out for a Weller TCP kit on eBay. Occasionally they are listed at a buy it now price of £60 approx.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 9:53 am   #4
duncanlowe
Nonode

It does look like a weller. But 10 minutes with 48 watts? I'm sure my wellers are more like 2 minutes, apart from the nicest one which is close to temperature in around 30 seconds.

A place I worked had got fed up with expensive but unreliable pace irons so went to a Maplin special. They were horrible, so I bought myself a weller TCP to use at work. Since I no longer work there it was passed on to my nephew who asked for a cheap off the internet.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 10:16 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

Radio rallies sometimes turn up TCPs and bases somewhat more affordable than internet auctions. If dud, they're repairable

My first TCP was made from bits of scrapped ones. I used it with a surplus 24v transformer in a tupperware type tub which proclaimed it had once held mayonnaise.

Meeting one of these irons at HP after years with Antexes and various cheapies there was no looking back. The combination of temperature control and a lot of power is amazing.

David
Old 24th Sep 2017, 12:14 pm   #6
MrBungle
Dekatron

I think the thing I like about the TCP irons is that you can quite happily go from carefully soldering in an 0805 SMD package to removing a large metal can capacitor soldered onto a thick copper PCB without playing around with it (like hakko/metcal). Just use the standard 3.2mm tip on edge for SMD and flat for big capacitors. Never destroys anything!
Old 24th Sep 2017, 12:39 pm   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

I would also vote for Weller TCP irons.
I built my first from broken ones from work with a very early handle from before they had a black rubber grip on them.
It had seen a few repairs over the years and has been joined by another rebuild.
Those have been joined by a couple with original stations. The first ones had home made stations.
You can still get the parts from some of the bigger component suppliers.
Handles tend to get a bit rough over time but there is always epoxy.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 1:25 pm   #8
peterpiper
Tetrode

As a long time user of Weller TCPs I can only agree with other users, great iron but I bought 2 PTAA7 bits recently and they aren't as good quality as before. I then bought a Chinese version of the Hakko T12, not the same build quality but not bad. Melts solder in 14 seconds, no kidding! Its almost got the thermal capacity of a TCP. The controller drops it to 200 deg after 30 secs rest and to cold after 15 minutes. No mains power supply is included but a 19v laptop PSU works well. All for less than a tenner. How do they do it!.
Peter
Old 24th Sep 2017, 2:10 pm   #9
camtechman
Nonode

My nephew bought one of these from Maplin last year and it packed in after 2 weeks. They replaced it but even that one stopped working after 2 days. They refunded the money.

He found out later from a friend that the wet (moist) sponge method of cleaning the bits caused failure (I don't know how however). Something to do with the coating on the "Ceramic" tips & thermal shock.

In the end. I dug out several old TCPs that I has accumulated over the years, patched together one from the bits (they must be over 30 years old) and it's still working fine and doing a good job

Last edited by camtechman; 24th Sep 2017 at 2:15 pm.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 5:07 pm   #10
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I always used TCPs until given one of those Maplin soldering stations. Worked OK until the iron went - bought another iron - failed almost immediately - gave up and went back to TCP.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 5:36 pm   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

The cheap stations have a major problem of lag between the bit and the element. As you're soldering away the bit gets colder and colder until it no longer melts the solder, then the element kicks in and starts heating it. The hollow tips that slide over the element shaft are the worst culprits.

Although I use a TCP daily, the quality isn't what it used to be and I had to make my own controller after 3 magnastats failed in a row. Even though the base now incorporates an SSR the stat still sticks occasionally and needs a bang on the table.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 5:58 pm   #12

My TCP (one of the magnetic Curie point jobs) has been with me for 30+ years, it looked old when I 'obtained' it. I has only needed a new thermostat once (spares where found with it) and now needs a new iron cable. Built to last and hot in 30 seconds. The proper transformer in the base is a good weight for stability.

BTW the number on the bottom of the bit is 100's of degrees Fahrenheit.

Old 24th Sep 2017, 6:08 pm   #13
Biggles
Rest in Peace

It's worth dismantling the iron element and tips every once in a while on a Weller TCP. I had one at work that seemed to get stuck together. It had the same tip in it for years I suspect. I bought a Weller proper temperature controlled job recently for home use and it is pretty good. The iron is very light and heats within a few seconds. My Antex XS25 was shelved because I got sick of the thick mains lead getting in the way or pulling all the time, although I had used it for quite a while before giving up on it. I am pretty certain the earlier Antex irons had a nice slender mains lead.
Alan.

Last edited by Biggles; 24th Sep 2017 at 6:10 pm. Reason: grammar and typos.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 6:27 pm   #14
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I was told 'If you can afford it, get a Metcal. If not, get a Weller TCP'. I am another person who swears by my TCP....

I've used it for everything from SMD rework to small bits of sheet metal.

Earlier this year the element failed (I'd had the iron from new and must have soldered well over a million connectons with it). I bought two spares from RS. I then realised that if the replacement lasts as long as the original, I will never need to buy another one, I will be gone first!
Old 24th Sep 2017, 7:14 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

A Metcal is what I use most of all... well two of them actually, often one in each hand for component removal or if I really need a lot of heat (300W @ 1GHz transistors are quite beefy)

Some warnings:

1) Metcal bits are gone in a month if you keep leaving the irons on through a working day. You turn the iron on and it's ready within a few seconds. Solder some joints and when you need to do anything else, turn the iron OFF. It's so fast heating this is no hardship.

2) It isn't just the bits, the base units burn out if you leave them on. They seem good only for intermittent duty. The bases feed about 70 watts at 13.5MHz to the inductive heater. Someone killed one of my own ones at work and there are now two more dead ones there as well.

3) at the end of the day, unplug it. The on/off switch comes after the transformer and the transformer idles quite warm.

Honestly, the bases could have been better designed and been more reliable. but the irons work so well and fast bit changes are so easy even including warm-up time.

We've just bought a surplus JBC solder/desolder station at work and it'll be interesting to try something different and reputable for comparison.

David
Old 24th Sep 2017, 7:37 pm   #16
ParcGwyn
Hexode

I can also highly recommend the TCP, I acquired mine second hand around 17 years ago. It failed a PAT test at work due to the mains cable having been pulled out of the clamp on the power unit, rather than repair it the technicain work gave it to me. I have only just required a new a bit and have purchased a PT7 and PT8 adapter and LT bits from Rapid.

Dave

GW7ONS
Old 24th Sep 2017, 8:28 pm   #17
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
A Metcal is what I use most of all... well two of them actually, often one in each hand for component removal or if I really need a lot of heat (300W @ 1GHz transistors are quite beefy)
Another vote for Metcal here.

I would find it difficult to go back to Weller now - and even more so to Antex "et-al". The range of tips, deliverable power and instant heating are superb.

I have 2 Metcal MX500 units and so far they have been reliable. However, the base stations of the MX500 looks easy to repair (No uP or "custom" stuff) and the circuit diagram / service information is readily available :-

http://colinoflynn.com/wp-content/up...MX-500P-11.pdf

WRT the cost of tips - they are pricey, but Thermaltronics do compatible ones for less. I've used these for years and they actually seem to last longer than Metcal ones !

http://www.thermaltronics.com/mseries_ref.php

Last edited by evingar; 24th Sep 2017 at 8:34 pm.
Old 24th Sep 2017, 9:08 pm   #18
cmjones01
Nonode

Thanks for the hint on compatible Metcal bits. I hadn't come across those before. I have an MX-500 at work and wouldn't be without it. But an honourable mention has to go to the Antex soldering station I have at home. I think it's an SD-690. It has digital temperature control and a 50 watt iron which is quite lightweight, like an XS25, but has a very flexible silicone cable. It packs a real punch, doesn't toast the bits like the non-controlled irons, and is compatible with the Antex bits that we all have rattling around in the bottoms of our toolboxes. I like it.

Chris
Old 24th Sep 2017, 9:17 pm   #19
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I've not seen mention of the JBC soldering stations yet, I personally think they are fantastic! I got given one years ago and it has never let me down. The tip and elements are one part, a bit like Metcal, but the tips seem to last forever, the iron warms up in seconds, and when in the stand it goes into a low temperature standby, which saves it from burning the tip away. They come with a hefty price tag unfortunately! Probably out of reach for most.

Regards,
Lloyd
Old 24th Sep 2017, 10:45 pm   #20
Radio Wrangler

Actually I mentioned them just a few messages north of this. That's fate, isn't it?

I've not tried their irons and desolderer yet, but their hot air machine I have used and it is superb.

David