UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Apr 2014, 2:57 am   #1
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Mid-80's Hotpoint Washer Spares

I'm determined to get at least 30 years service out of my mid-80's Hotpoint 95130. However, it's clear that the plastics are beginning to get brittle and the motor brushes had the audacity to wear out a few weeks ago! Given that finding spares will get progressively more difficult, can anyone suggest what spares might be worth pre-emptive buying?

B
Old 12th Apr 2014, 8:36 pm   #2
saxmaniac
Heptode

Default Re: Mid-80's Hotpoint Washer Spares

Door seal, pump, motor complete if you can get a good used one. Suspension legs also the small plates between the top of the leg and the tub. Check the base is not cracking up under the legs. Dispenser hose sump hose. Timer knob. Check for burning tags to mains input on timer. Why not locate a scrap machine for spares? As you may guess I used to work on these by the hundred!
Old 13th Apr 2014, 1:30 am   #3
emeritus
Dekatron

Spares for 20-year old Hotpoint machines are still available at a price. My mother's 1980's vintage Hotpoint finally gave up the ghost due to bearing failure last year. I did replace the programmer switch 3 years ago as one of the switch contacts for the heater had gone high resistance and melted the surrounding plastic. My local repairers (run by two brothers) found that the Hotpoint list price was well over £120, but managed to find me a recycled one from their collection for a tenner. The main drive belt went about 8 years ago, and the pump stopped working, not due to any fault with the pump, but because one of the two conductors of the wire from the programmer to the pump had been cut through by chafing where it had been secured by a sharp-edged sheet metal lug welded to the casing.
Old 13th Apr 2014, 10:51 am   #4
Pete_kaye
Octode

I ahve a 1979 Hotpoint which leaks a little water evertime I use it .What are possible causes?
Old 13th Apr 2014, 10:59 am   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Without wanting to be a smart-****, Pete, it's really worth trying to see where that water's coming from, although I appreciate that's easier said than done in a washing machine, especially if it means dismantling the kitchen to have a peek.

I had a late 80s one until recently, and that did the same, the cause being the drum bearings. There was a tell-tale rusty stain where the drum spindle emerges from the outer tub, behind the big pulley.

Nick.
Old 13th Apr 2014, 11:23 am   #6
emeritus
Dekatron

This happened with our own Hotpoint a few years ago. The bearing seal wears, allowing water to reach the bearings and leach out the lubricant. If you catch it early enough, it only needs the seal replacing, otherwise it needs a new bearing as well. I had our local repair shop fit a new bearing and seal for a reasonable cost.
Old 13th Apr 2014, 2:32 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

Before we get round to Indesits and Bekos, please read the original post.
Old 13th Apr 2014, 4:06 pm   #8
Stubble
Pentode

I get all the part I need from eBay to keep my old girls going also search the make and model number in google too.

Get what you can when you can, after all it’s not going to go off is it ;-)

All three of my Hotpoint machines 1851/03 (1975) 18680 (1985) 95622 (1985)
All use the same parts just cabinet changes and the tubs changed to plastic in the 80’s
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1676.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	91484   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1160.jpg
Views:	1590
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	91485   Click image for larger version

Name:	95622.jpg
Views:	2132
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	91486   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0511.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	91487   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0805.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	91488  

Old 13th Apr 2014, 4:16 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Ah, the 95622 - the very one we had!
Old 13th Apr 2014, 10:06 pm   #10
matthewhouse
Octode

That 95622 with the lid off brings back memories. The top was left off on ours as the only way to open the door was by reaching inside and lifting the door interlock unit!

For spares, smaller repair shops that have been in business for many years are often good places to look. We had loads of spares for older appliances such as hoover junior spares, replacement kettle elements and twin tub parts...
Old 14th Apr 2014, 8:50 am   #11
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

I had one of this series of machines until a very few years ago.
The main problem I had was frequent brush failure. This was overcome by purchasing some non - O.E.M. brushes with what looked like a compressed brass netting (?) layer in the brushes, i.e. as a middle section running the length of the brush. I never had to replace them again. The machine eventually met its end by a simultaneous combination of drum bearing failure, and timer failure as per Emeritus's earlier post. Bought a Miele - dont expect any more problems for some considerable time to come. ;-) Tony
Old 14th Apr 2014, 10:20 am   #12
saxmaniac
Heptode

If anyone needs the shaft seal for the Hotpots up to the late nineties I have a stash. Bearings are generic and cheap but it is essential to polish the brass collar the seal bears on and this must be perfect. I don't know if you can get shafts now they used to be available as pattern parts. Brushes were replaced with a laminated type which lasted a bit better but I always advised using genuine as there is a lot more to brush technology and pattern types could sometimes wreck the armature. It may even be possible to get pattern armatures. Qualtex were the best and the are still in business in a spares and OEM manufacturer
Old 14th Apr 2014, 12:44 pm   #13
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Weren't the shafts and the drum mounting known as "spiders"?
Old 14th Apr 2014, 12:49 pm   #14
sp10mk11
Octode

Ff its a 1979 Hotpoint does it have a cast metal backplate? if so it might just be the tub seal saying by by or as I found one Hotpoint I owned the aluminium casting was decaying rapidly due I think to the masses of solid wash powder/liquid lumps of gunk on it... I know the later ones had plastic tubs which you gained access from the front.

But like other people I get any spares I can mainly from ebay, I run old Hoover machines and like the Hotpoints of the time are very serviceable and repairable....aswell as being excellent machines.
I have had 3 modern eco efficient machines all of them junk at the end of the day so if you intend running old machines then yes stockpile what ever parts you can.

The brittle plastics are a common problem on the hotpoints so always handle with care, in some ways if you have a good fascia then I would re-inforce it with modelling plastikard on the back.

This is my daily driver at home it dates from 1981
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	in.jpg
Views:	2176
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	91522  
Old 15th Apr 2014, 9:00 am   #15
saxmaniac
Heptode

Yes it was called the spider. This was the same on metal tub machines as well as the95 series. The metal tub 1800 series were some of the best made in UK but not a patch on the German stuff!
Old 15th Apr 2014, 9:09 am   #16
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmaniac View Post
...not a patch on the German stuff!
True, but they were far more affordable, parts were easier to source, and everyone could repair them
Old 15th Apr 2014, 10:40 am   #17
space charge
Tetrode

IN MY YOUTH i fixed washing machines for filthy lucre . the first place to check for leakage is the door gasket at the 6 oclock position . the cure temporary,for this is to rotate the gasket to approx 9 oclock. pierce ei7ka
Old 15th Apr 2014, 3:24 pm   #18
saxmaniac
Heptode

True Nick. We used to have a shop and loved reconditioning these. The case and body panels came off and were pickled phosphated resprayed. The mechanics were refurbished properly and we could sell as many as we could do. Several times the same machine would be back several years later and get refurbished again and that customer would have another one!
Old 16th Apr 2014, 2:55 am   #19
julie_m
Dekatron

My first washing machine when I moved out of my parents' home was a Hotpoint 95-series. It packed up rather spectacularly in the Spring of 1998; the drum jumped off its suspension. I remember the time quite clearly because my ex-girlfriend and her two-year-old daughter were staying with me. Fortunately, we had already successfully washed the little one's clothes and nappies; it was only the grown-ups' laundry that was interrupted.

Shortly before its demise, the machine was fitted with a reconditioned motor; which I still have somewhere, and which anyone is welcome to for the asking, if they can make arrangements to get hold of it somehow.
Old 17th Apr 2014, 10:38 pm   #20
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Thanks for the replies to my OP. Apart from that particular drive which I (and many others on this forum) have to maintain old equipment which has given, and continues to give, fine and 'loyal' service, I am repeatedly told that what ever I might buy to replace the old Hotpoint, that it is most unlikely that the new item will go 30 years fault-free. I must remember to treat her gently .
Closed Thread