UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Apr 2014, 11:32 am   #1
mjmal513
Triode

Default Opinions: Hacker GP42 or Bush SRP41?

Being a newcomer to the wonderful world of vintage record players I would welcome any thoughts on comparing a Hacker Gondolier GP42 with Bush SRP41.
I recently bought a GP42 and with the help of a good forum member was able to restore the auto change function. Pretty happy with the performance but some records cause resonance of the cabinet when the lid is closed. Hacker recommended closing the lid and fasteners to improve sound. There is nothing loose and the lid fastens tight but sometimes best to leave lid open when playing loud.
I have been looking at a Bush which I realise is transistorised and just wondering if anybody has compared the sound on both of these units, also would the Bush require less maintenance having transistors cf. valves?
Old 17th Apr 2014, 12:54 pm   #2
saxmaniac
Heptode

Default Re: Opinions: Hacker GP42 or Bush SRP41?

Swings and roundabouts. The Hacker is very bass heavy and the lid can form a crude tone control.They should not rattle or resonate. They do sound wonderful when working right Valves may become more scarce and expensive. Don't know about the Bush!
Old 17th Apr 2014, 1:57 pm   #3
mjmal513
Triode

Yes the Hacker is bass heavy and perhaps I should clarify that it is only when playing a bass heavy record that I find it is best to have the lid up. As I said the latches hold the lid very tight but it seems to be the lid that resonates.
Old 17th Apr 2014, 7:55 pm   #4
saxmaniac
Heptode

Ive not noticed the lid resonate, the bass is normally very smooth but there is just lots of it. Have you checked that everything that should be tight is tight not just around the lid?
Old 17th Apr 2014, 8:35 pm   #5
mjmal513
Triode

Yes everything is tight, it is only the lid that vibrates but the catches seem as good as new and hold the lid solid. Also checked rear hinges and all screws tight.
The vibration on reasonably loud volume and bass is only the lid so just experimented putting a small piece of folded tissue between the front lid and the main body and big improvement but don't see any way I could get the latches to adjust any tighter.
Old 18th Apr 2014, 7:52 am   #6
saxmaniac
Heptode

Sounds like a dab of glue and small bits of felt will cure it!
Old 18th Apr 2014, 8:51 am   #7
mjmal513
Triode

Had a look through odds and ends drawer last night and found a roll of self adhesive rubber draught seal. Cut off a couple of inches and tried that and success. Tried Dave Clark 5 Bits and Pieces on loud as a ultimate test and no resonance.
Good thing is that peeling off the seal does not harm the rexine.
Old 19th Apr 2014, 8:03 pm   #8
D_S_J_R
Heptode

The GP42 service manual seemed to indicate that a flat treble is with the treble control set to max. I used to run mine with treble control fully up and bass backed off a bit. Recent experiences with a good working GP96 cartridge as fitted to the 2025TC and SP25 units at least, shows that this is a smooth sounding cartridge, but rather dull. A GP104 or Garrard 41C/Sonotone 3559 did and still do sound a bit livelier. Trouble is, the GP96 has flat blades for connector pins, rather than round pins as most other cartridges use and unless you're very good at soldering, I'd leave very well alone.

Dave
Old 19th Apr 2014, 8:43 pm   #9
mark pirate
Dekatron

While the Bush is a very good player, the Hacker does sound much better.
I have restored three Hacker's, and have had to reduce the bass when playing at higher volume due to the lid resonance.
In fact when using the AL42 add on amplifier, It sounds better with the lid open, otherwise the bass tends to be one sided!

I would look out for an AL42 to add stereo to your player, it does sound awesome
Back in the day, they were considered the 'Rolls Royce' of players.

Mark
Old 20th Apr 2014, 6:18 am   #10
Ekcoman
Heptode

The Hacker is now being hunted down as "the penny has dropped" on just how good these animals are, so the secret is out. You could pick them up up quite cheaply but now they are commanding similar prices as the over-rated Dansettes. They most definitely take some beating in every department. Cost in 1969 was around £42 not a lot you may think, but put in inflation and that comes in around £850 today.
They are bassy but that was considered fashionable at the time as most record players just couldn't show much bass in their output. As said, keep the lid up.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 8:32 am   #11
mjmal513
Triode

Thanks for all the recent replies, I bought for a decent price from the grandson of the original purchaser, been kept in the same family from new, and I must say it looks as good as new.

DSJR, it has the Sonotone cartridge and is lively as you say, I do tend to have treble on high and back off the bass as you say. Not soldered since I were a lad so I will stay away from the GP96!

mark pirate, nice to know that lid resonance can be a problem, my "fix" seems pretty effective.

Ekcoman, so it looks as though I made a good choice. Had never heard of Hacker, I had moved on to separates by 1969. The brand first came to my attention when I decided to look for an old Dansette and google led me to this forum and old posts pointed out their superiority.
Old 20th Apr 2014, 9:09 am   #12
saxmaniac
Heptode

Hacker also made the best sounding portable radios of the era!
Old 20th Apr 2014, 3:02 pm   #13
D_S_J_R
Heptode

Yep, and the Sovereign 2 and VHF Herald still sound wonderfuland go louder than Roberts' best models...

I had to send my GP42 with stand to an auction twelve years ago. It was still working perfectly and all it fetched was a tenner

Dave
Old 20th Apr 2014, 3:35 pm   #14
mark pirate
Dekatron

And Do not forget the excellent VHF (FM) only Mayflower valve radios, both the MK1 & 2 sound truly wonderful, and are well worth seeking out!

Mark
Closed Thread