UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Jul 2017, 11:41 am   #1
mbird59
Retired Dormant Member

Default Kiddie Ride electro-mechanical timer wiring??

Hi, I hope this is the correct place to ask this question, I am restoring an old kiddie ride and got hold of an old electro-mechanical timer and I already have a coin mech (micro-switch) and the ride motor itself.

Unfortunately I have no idea how to wire these up. I have run power to the timer/relay and the timer works but I want to be able to trigger the timer from the coin mechanism and I dont know what else I might need to make this work.

I have attached some pictures (larger ones can be seen using the links below).

http://www.homedia.co.uk/timer1.JPG

http://www.homedia.co.uk/timer.JPG

http://www.homedia.co.uk/relay.JPG

Hopefully the pictures give enough information, any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timer.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	145549   Click image for larger version

Name:	timer1.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	145550   Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	145551  
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 2:44 pm   #2
OscarFoxtrot
Heptode

Default Re: Kiddie Ride electro-mechanical timer wiring??

What sort of timer? Is it one where the timing cycle can be started by an external contact?
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 2:57 pm   #3
Station X

I think inserting a coin causes the clockwork timer to be wound up. It then runs for a period set on the dial. When it stops running the arm of the timer operates the switch on the LHS switching off the Kiddie Ride's motor.

It needs reverse engineering.

I assume the transformer produces a low voltage supply for the timer wind up motor. No idea what plugs into the socket though.

The wires to the switch don't look big enough to power a motor, so I guess they operate the contactor of a No Volt Release motor starter.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 4:40 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Gents, it looks like the socket is an 11pin one designed for a 3 pole c/o relay. A 10A version of this will no doubt switch the power to the motor and provide the latching function required from the timer.

Ed
Old 3rd Jul 2017, 4:47 pm   #5
Station X

Looks home brew to me. Note the bracket for the relay socket has scribe marks which haven't been adhered to.

I assume the microswitch on the coin mechanism only makes a fleeting contct, hence the need for a latching relay.

I've no idea what current a Kidde Ride motor takes, but does the wring look up to it?

It would help if the OP could draw out the circuit or take more pictures showing the wiring.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread