UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd May 2017, 7:09 am   #1
jascha
Hexode

Cool Japanese valve tape recorder handle repair. How can it be done?

Hi everyone,

I have a Japanese domestic tube tape recorder that needs some TLC when it comes to the handle. It was made around 1958 and the leather has dried up, and totally perished as seen in the images attached. I would like to restore it back to original as possible by having a fresh piece of identical leather sewn around the springy metal support that bears the weight when lifted. To take the handle off doesn't seem to be a straightforward job either as possibly all the mounts on the inside are hidden below some wooden supports that support the transport. Any ideas please how to go about it and what material I would need please? Many thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7047.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	143042   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7048.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	143043   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7049.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	143044   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7027.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	143045  
Old 22nd May 2017, 9:09 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Japanese valve tape recorder handle repair. How can it be done?

You need to find yourself a saddler. A real one who repairs and makes leather stuff for horsey people. They'll have a stock of different thicknesses and grades of leather and will have a sweing machine which can handle it and do evenly spaced stitching to make it look right. Search around for saddlery tack or harness repair people, or just ask any horse owner.

David
Old 22nd May 2017, 10:12 am   #3
Audio1950
Dekatron

Here you go! These are the same handles as used on portable HMV gramophones. If you look carefully, you may see the name "Pakawa" stamped on the edge of the chromium ends. I have replaced dozens of these, but you need to be careful when bending the internal "flaps" or they can snap. If you need more advice, PM me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HMV-102-10...kAAOxytBZSSuXs
Old 24th May 2017, 7:14 pm   #4
jascha
Hexode

Many thanks for your replies . Having considered my options I ended up buying some faux leather material and will have the handle taken off from the machine and have it re-sewn by my local cobbler to my exact requirements. This will be done overseas where the machine is, hopefully in July when I go and will post pictures of the photos be result . Cheers everyone
Closed Thread