UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jul 2017, 8:30 am   #1
rockinmark
Heptode

Default Technics RS_TR252 twin cassette tape recorder

Hi I have a technics rs_tr252 twin cassette tape recorder it wouldn't rewind properly on the record deck side so I replaced the belts. I replaced them on both as I had it apart. Now on the record side it won't play without stopping after a couple of seconds in both direction I cleaned pinch roller. Has anyone any idea what is wrong. I haven't got repair sheets

Thanks mark
Old 27th Jul 2017, 9:06 am   #2
cheerfulcharlie
Heptode

Default Re: Tape decks

Just a thought but- you have cleaned the pinch roller,but have you also pulled out the capstan, cleaned that and make sure it spins freely on return?
Old 27th Jul 2017, 9:19 am   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Tape decks

You need to find out how the auto stop works , sometimes it is a magnet on the counter, is the counter working / is there any wires adrift from the counter, a circuit would be helpful.Mick.
Old 27th Jul 2017, 10:19 am   #4
rockinmark
Heptode

Default Re: Technics RS_TR252 twin cassette tape recorder

I clean the capstan and run freely. The counter works and I can't see any wires adrift. It plays sometimes for a little bit.
Old 27th Jul 2017, 12:01 pm   #5
TIMTAPE
Octode

As it's a dual tape deck you have a working one to compare. Check that the take up reel is turning the tape in play.
Old 27th Jul 2017, 2:08 pm   #6
rockinmark
Heptode

If I don't have tape in and push to senser on to it works, only when tape in it stops I think. When I push play the capstan turn but tape doesn't then switches off
Old 27th Jul 2017, 2:30 pm   #7
ben
Dekatron

This is a well-known failure on these decks. There is a plastic gear used for takeup (and possibly other winding, cannot recall).This goes brittle with age and loses teeth, giving rise to the symptoms you describe.

The part is NLA, so sadly there is no cure, until someone makes reliable replacements with 3D printers!
Old 28th Jul 2017, 8:20 pm   #8
rockinmark
Heptode

That would explain why it worked for a bit the switches off then Ben as it gets to cog at least one deck works in meantime I will look at it
Old 30th Jul 2017, 9:22 pm   #9
kevinaston1
Hexode

As Ben correctly states, the RDG5772ZC idler gear has a nasty habit of loosing its teeth.

I had one in from a customer a couple of months ago, and I had used our last gear wheel. I found this website at the time

https://www.shapeways.com/product/53...ic-rdg5772zc-r

which I offered to the customer, but stating I had never tried one, so I had no idea how good they are. Amazingly, the customer came in an hour later with two more TR252 decks - see if you can make one good one out of three, which I did.

If you need the service manual, I believe we have a copy in our files; PM me if you need it
Old 4th Aug 2017, 6:15 pm   #10
rockinmark
Heptode

Pm sent Kevin please could you send me a copy of the service manual can I swap the cog from the working not to the recording deck one
Closed Thread