UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2017, 2:36 pm   #1
Reidar5
Triode

Default Tandberg 1600x: Rumbling sound while recording

Hello,

I have a Tandberg 1600x. When I push the record button, the needle on the vu- meter for the right channel skips up and down although no input cable is plugged in. Changing the recording level on the right channel with the potentiometer doesn't seem to affect the skipping of the needle.

When I play what I have recorded, I hear a faint thunder or rumble in the right channel.
I wonder if these sounds could be caused by a malfunctioning resistor in the indicator amplifier, since, like I said, changing the recording level with the potentiometer doesn't seem to affect the skipping of the needle.

Regards: Reidar
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 3:29 pm   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg 1600x: Rumbling sound while recording

Have you cleaned the switches?
Old 23rd Jul 2017, 8:31 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

Sounds more like a leaking capacitor to me or a transistor going noisy.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 24th Jul 2017, 6:33 pm   #4
Reidar5
Triode

Hello,

I have cleaned the plugs (blue plugs with many teeth) who are connected to the record and playback amplifier board.
I have also cleaned the left / right recording switches, and it sounds better now.

The rumble is gone, but one remaining problem is that I have to hold my finger on the potentiometer knob when I record.
If I don't, the signal on the left channel vanishes. Looks like holding my finger there stabilizes the connection.

Maybe I used too much CRC when I cleaned , and maybe CRC 5.56 is slightly conductive?

Regards: Reidar
Old 26th Jul 2017, 11:16 am   #5
Michael Maurice

Or maybe the potentiometer is worn to the point that it wont respond to switch cleaner, in which you have to replace the potentiometer.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Closed Thread